Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A tip for caregivers who have highly agitated spouses at home

This morning was highly stressful, once again.  Got my husband into the shower without any issues, got him dressed with no issues.  Once he was in the kitchen he became highly agitated began cursing at me, spit on me while I was making his breakfast, clapped his hands at my face, didn't touch me because his perception is off.  This went on for one and a half hours.  He finally calmed down enough to sit and eat his breakfast.  I placed his morning meds in his food, he didn't notice.

Here's my tip - get this type of behavior on video and show your doctor.  I have many videos of this type of behavior over the past 5 years.  His doctor witnessed this behavior when he was at our house last month and increased Seroquel.

I'm still unnerved by his agitation, and I so look forward to the ending of this nightmare.  These videos will remind me of how difficult it has been.  I will not miss any part of this caregiving misery.

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I know it's probably useless because I can never figure out my own situation, but was there anything in particular that struck you today in the kitchen that might have put him into an agitated space or do you think it was just overload from being so compliant for the other tasks?

I agree with the videos.  I think they are much more effective than simply describing what's happening.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I don't know what caused his agitation.  To me it comes out of nowhere, he could be fine one minute and agitated the next minute.  Very, very unpredictable and it has been this way since the beginning of this nightmare.
  • Just Ro
    Just Ro Member Posts: 43
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    So sorry you are dealing with all of this. How much Seroquel is your LO currently on?  My DH did very well on the initial once a day 25 mg dose for about 5 months. He is now having breakthrough behaviors with delusions, hallucinations and anger when I refuse to give him the car keys.  Doctor just increased Seroquel to 25 mg twice a day. Just started that this week, so maybe too soon to tell.  My DH’s behavior is not quite that disruptive YET,  but taking a video of what he is doing is an excellent idea.
  • Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thanks so much for the idea of the videos and I will do that if my hubby gets agitated/violent.  We have been in this journey for 6 years but other than his upset/mad behavior the first couple of years when he had to quit driving etc  he has been loving and appreciative of my help ---- usually!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear doityourselfer, I am so sorry that he has this disease. I am even more sorry and sad for you. You are a better person than I am, I would place him. I hope things get better for you.
  • Doityourselfer

My husband is currently on 400mg Seroquel.  Dosage is 100mg four times a day. A year ago he was on 300mg.   

Consider yourself lucky for those of you whose LOs don't get highly agitated.  It can be so difficult to handle emotionally and physically because he can go on and on with his swearing, spitting and clapping.  I tell myself daily that I'm the strongest person I know but today wasn't a good day and I felt sick to my stomach this morning after he spit on me.  I guess I'm grateful it doesn't happen every day.  If it was daily I would place him.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I did this when dear husband was very upset , moving from room to room agitated and crying. The look on his face was so hard to see and when I would show it to people, I wouldn’t even have to put the sound up. A video can capture a lot.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you for the great tip DIYr. 

I wish I could reach through cyberspace and give you a real life hug. You are strong. You are courageous. You persevere. You persist. You inspire me.

God bless you.

• Doityourselfer
    Thanks Lady Texan! Today was a totally calm day.  So unpredictable.
  • Camoruso
    Camoruso Member Posts: 14
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    My wife suddenly started with terrible agitation back in June. Her primary started Seroquel but it made her very dizzy. Since she already had some falls they told me to stop the Seroquel and referred her to a geriatric psychiatrist. The psychiatrist put her on Olanzapine. It has been so much better. I was at a point that I was getting scared for myself and my dogs. The behavior was so awful that I did consider calling the police a few times. I am so grateful for these meds. It has taken away all the agitation. I hope they can find something that helps for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more