Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Scam supplements

Another email appeared in my mailbox today about a new miracle supplement that restores damaged brains, memory recovered! All natural, non GMO etc.etc. Is it just me? I feel  an enormous  visceral rage building in me when I read this crap. How can people plan and deliver an advertising campaign for a scam product that preys on the desperation and fear of families dealing with Alzheimer’s? Apparently it is a huge and growing business selling dietary supplements that promise anything. Not regulated because they are “ food products”. Similar to the diet/ weight loss scam products, they are cynically selling unrealistic hope to desperate people. The scum that market these miracle memory supplements are the lowest form of life. I wish I didn’t get so upset because I have enough stress in my life but it just drives me crazy that people profit by deliberately misleading families struggling with dementia. There, my rant is over and I still feel upset.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I treat emails the same way I treat phone calls. If I didn't ask for a call or have nothing to do with the person on the other end, it goes in the trash, no matter what they offer.
  • Nanpav
    Nanpav Member Posts: 6
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    I agree and it enrages me too. I was recently playing a game on my phone when an ad popped up linking playing a game to preventing Alzheimer’s! I was first disgusted and then livid. It should be a crime.
  • Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

These “people” have no morals. They have no empathy for the misery of others. They’re predators who have no more remorse over what they do than a cat does killing a mouse.   

When my wife was in the early stages, she chose to try a memory supplement. Her symptoms actually got worse. It was months after she stopped taking it before her symptoms improved and she got back on track with the normal progression of the disease. That was three years ago. Now they have to deal with me. They keep calling back but at least they don’t pressure me when I mentioned that she is in stage 6. (Actually stage 5 but they don’t know that)   

If these supplements and programs worked half as well as the claims say, the Alzheimer’s Association would encourage people to use them. The fact that they don’t is proof enough that those things don’t work.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I think those of us who see and experience the ravages of dementia are particularly enraged by these bogus product promotions. My husband’s neurologist is also angered by the false hope and buckets of money that the ads generate. I think that there’s a law suit that NY State is lodging against Prevagen. I hope it goes through and that preying against sick and elderly people gets the punishment it deserves.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    The problem with the internet is that sites add cookies and then sell the data online. Because I have looked up Alzheimer’s online, I get unwanted spam promising miracle cures etc. I enjoy spiking them every morning but I feel rage against these a-holes for rattling my cage. I do constantly apply the bs filter to everything I get. To mess with people who have a loved one suffering from this disease is criminal and I hope they get theirs.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more