Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wife wanders the house at night, wakes me up constantly

Hello all, I haven't checked in here for a while. Medications have pretty well solved my wife's worst behavior problems (thinking I am a stranger, calling neighbors or the sheriffs to kick me out of "her" house, etc.). So for many months I've only had to deal with the annoyance of being asked the same question over and over, and trying to keep my wife entertained. But the the past few weeks she has started wandering around the house at night, getting up, lying back down, then getting up again sometimes several times in five minutes. She will move things around the house, fiddle with clothes or just shuffle randomly around the bedroom. I guide her back into bed and explain that we need our rest, but of course logic has no effect. She has the same problem sitting still during the daytime but I am able to get work done and mostly keep her entertained. I am currently hounding her doctor for some help, whether medication changes, sleep aids, or anything to just knock her out so I can get some sleep before my own health is ruined.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    I feel your pain. My DH has been doing this for the past couple months all night long. He dozes in his recliner during the day, so I have tried to keep his attention most of the daytime so perhaps he will sleep better during the night. That isn't the answer. I slept a couple nights in the guest room, but he finds me and wants me to "come back". That didn't achieve additional sleep for me. I sleep with one eye open as I am afraid he will get his jacket on and walk out the front door. I do have the alarm chimes turned on at night. If you get an answer from her doctor, I am sure many of us would be interested in trying something that may work. Last night DH rearranged the covers so that they were all on top of me...then, he couldn't find me and roamed around looking for me. Once I am up and guide him back to bed, I am awake for the next couple of hours. I am so sleep deprived.
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

Wow, Kenzie I'm so sorry you are sharing my experience. My wife's memory care doctor has just referred us to the geriatric psychiatry department, so I'm hoping they will have something to offer and if so I will be sure to share it here.

We live out in the country and I lock all the outside doors and hide the keys before bed. But last week she somehow found a spare copy and walked out. Passersby saw her crawling on hands and knees, naked except for panties, inside our fence. I only found out when the sheriffs woke me up pounding on the door. Needless to say I was shocked at this new turn of events. I've now taken further measures to secure all possible exits.

I tried an over the counter sleep aid (diphenhydramine) on her but it did not seem to have any effect. I then tried one with melatonin + GABA + L-theanine. That seemed to help her somewhat. More importantly it really seems to help me sleep through her night time antics. Together with good ear plugs I am getting a little better sleep the past three nights. Last night around 2 AM I happened to notice she was not in bed and searched the house for her. I finally found her in our bedroom closet, standing back behind the clothes on hangers, hands full of miscellaneous items. Morning revealed she had moved many things around the bedroom but thankfully I did not hear any of this.

Of course I worry about her getting hurt wandering in the dark, but at this point the bigger issue is damage to my health from lack of sleep.

• Belldream
    Belldream Member Posts: 42
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Thank you for posting this, as I am having the same issues with my DH. I am also sleep deprived and "sleeping with one eye open" so to speak. Sometimes I am just so exhausted that nothing wakes me and that is even scarier since I don't know what I will be waking up to. It's the same as you describe, constantly getting up out of bed, shuffling around, getting back into bed, often within a 5 minute period. Restlessly wandering our home, rearranging everything, moving things around so that I can't find important things in the morning, and moving things everywhere. He also hallucinates and thinks there are people in our home. I would love to hear if you have found any solutions.
  • Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    My DW's neurologist prescribed ambien 5mg because of this same issue.  Has worked very well.  She is sleeping thru the night (mostly.)
  • billS
    BellDream Your description of your DH sounds exactly like what I'm going through. Sorry you're sharing this awful experience.
  • billS
    Crkddy wrote:
    My DW's neurologist prescribed ambien 5mg because of this same issue.  Has worked very well.  She is sleeping thru the night (mostly.)

Good to hear, my wife has glaucoma so I need to make sure any medication does not conflict with that. Will ask as soon as possible.

• Belldream
    Belldream Member Posts: 42
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Though I feel my DH has been suffering for a long while with alz, it was only this summer when finally our "latest" neurologist agreed with me and had him tested. Before that, all other neurologists kept saying he had "mild Parkinson's dementia" and wouldn't look any further. Which means he started his alz meds later. Very frustrating. Our neurologist now is wonderful. Finally. DH is only 63. I am still learning how to care for him while also working full time and going back to college (virtually). I feel the waves of this disease like a rollercoaster. It's nice to have this forum to at least ask questions, vent, discuss, share, laugh, cry and maybe even come up with solutions. Thank you for the suggestion of the Ambien. I will also look into it!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more