Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

endless rehashing of lost history

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,715
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
My partner doesn't remember much about us any more, and she's constantly questioning me, trying to fill in the holes.  It's disconcerting to say the least, and heartbreaking--how long have we been together, do I know her family, do I have family, do I know our neighbors, do I have children, was I married before, what kind of work did I do, am I still working.  I can't seem to get her off these topics and it's very wearying.  I'm just curious if other spouses have experienced this or have any tips about handling it.  She doesn't redirect easily.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I know that has to be very hard. Not sure if this will help, but nothing to lose. WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE WITH DEMENTIA REPEATS THE SAME QUESTIONS: 5 TIPS 
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Mine has never asks anything about our past. If I talk about or mention something we did, or somebody we know/knew, he will cheerfully say he does not remember that, does not know about that.

He will ask every 2 minutes what day it is, is it hot outside, where is the dog, can I have a drink, where is food, etc. If one of the kids calls or stops by, he’ll ask who is that. But nothing personal. It’s like it no longer exists for him, there is nothing there for him to wonder or ask about.

There is (apparently) no past for him, it’s all totally of the moment. The good? news  is, he does not seem to be bothered by that.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more