Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stages of Grief

I talked to my PCP the other day about MY good days and bad days caring for DH. Some days I don't mind being the caregiver and other days I feel anger, frustration and sadness.  I blamed myself and thought it was exhaustion or intolerance on my part. She told me something that I have not heard before and has helped me to feel less guilty when I experience negative emotions. She said that I should reread the stages of grief. Even though my DH of 43 years is still at home, I lost him when he was diagnosed with moderate stage mixed dementia. She said if/when I decide to place him in MC, I will probably experience another type of loss and may go through the stages in a different way. When he passes, I will lose him a 3rd time, but my journey through the stages of grief may be the same or could be different in that I may feel a sense of relief. I never thought about experiencing grief three different times for the same person, but after reading the stages, I can see that my good days/bad days may just be stages and accepting that, I do not feel so guilty because it is normal, not just my vulnerability. We are human and being a caregiver for PWD is an unbelievable challenge. Just thought her advice may be helpful. What do you think? Here is a link (can't make it hot, sorry):

https://www.vitas.com/family-and-caregiver-support/grief-and-bereavement/what-is-grief/alzheimers-and-the-five-stages-of-grief 

Comments

• anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thank you Kenzie
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Goo information.

I think we experience grief all along the way. Loses bring on grief and if you place your husband you will sort of lose your  job too. 

When my husband died I realized that not only I lost him I also lost my job and was left not only being alone but not knowing what to do. It was very strange.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Dear Kenzie,

Please hang in there...today is my 44th anniversary and I sit here sobbing. I lost DH last

July-trust me Stage 8 is unbearable. I read grief books everyday......

Bless you,

Michele

• alzsarah2
    alzsarah2 Member Posts: 12
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I understand that explanation. My father died of Alzheimer's in 1996 and my mother wrote a poem about how she lost him long before he died. Now I am dealing with probable AD with my husband and it's losing him in bits and pieces. And this is just early stage! We are having such a frustrating experience trying to get him fully evaluated! I am having good days/ bad days. Sometimes I am able to be so patient, and other days I lose it with him. Then I get so angry at myself for not being better at caregiving. It's a roller coaster of emotions.
  • Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    Thank you Army_Vet, that site is very helpful and gives me more insight. I do see many symptoms on the list that I am experiencing.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Helpful indeed. A caregiver’s grief is not just for the loved one. We have lost partners, freedom, companionship, a future we planned on, sleep, peace, money, friends, careers…
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

I was stuck in denial an danger stages for years it seems. It was only until I met he acceptance stage that I learned to go with the flow and not really expect anything other than getting through the day.

Now I go about the day as always but without much anger. Oh, I get frustrated for sure, but have learned to redirect it into a task such as my garden or my dogs. (Or-at times I simply go outside in privacy and scream defiantly-- not to anyone but to the disease itself-- "You will OT take me down, you a**hole!!"

It is what it is. One of the most surprising things that's happened is I stopped biting my nails down to the quick until they bled. I now have nice manicured hands---something else this disease robbed from me for a full decade.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more