Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH says he has no memory problem / memory enhancer

How do I handle this issue? Neurologist diagnosed mild Dementia after 3 hours test. DH forgets 

Something said 10 minutes ago. Repeats same thing- doctors appointments- 5-6 times. Asked him to

Read and write to improve, he says he doesn’t have a memory problem?

How should I respond?

2nd question/

Has any one tried Accupuncture or cognitive enhancer vitamins  to improve dementia on their loved one?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm a little surprised that the neurologist made a diagnosis after only 3 hours of testing.

If he doesn't think he has a problem, he likely has anosognosia, which is the inability to realize there is a problem. When people have anosognosia, you can't make them believe there is a problem. Don't tell him he's wrong. That will only be cause for an argument, which you want to avoid.

"Has any one tried Accupuncture or cognitive enhancer vitamins  to improve dementia on their loved one?"
    I've probably read thousands of posts here, and never saw where anyone tried that. But if it was so good, everybody would know about it. There are a lot of less than honest people trying to sell something.
  • Lizzielou
    Lizzielou Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Anniversary

My DH is also quite certain he has no memory problems though he can’t remember his grandchildren’s names, how to use a computer or telephone, places he’s been and people he’s met.  My strategy is is to change the subject,  agree with everything, don’t take offense and keep calm and reassuring.  Never insist he do something he is not capable of.  I have changed my outlook and expectations.  I try never to be critical but supportive of the things he can do.

As to your second question I have no experience with acupuncture or cognitive enhancing vitamins but I don’t believe they would be effective.  I’ve seen no data that supports these treatments.

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Sometimes in the mild stages making a daily calendar for the PWD or leaving them notes where they usually sit can decrease the number of repetitions. He might not be able to do it himself. By the middle stages this often does not help and can actually increase anxiety. You will have to work around your LO decreasing abilities and I second the no argument rule.

As Ed1937 says, I have never heard of accupuncture being used, and just about everything has been brought up on the boards at one time or another. Some people have tried coconut oil etc. but any benefits are tiny and only affect symptoms, not the progression of the disease. Nothing cures the disease. Be wary of misleading advertising, and think carefully before you spend money, you are going to need it.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I don't think reading, writing, and puzzle solving are of any benefit in slowing the progression of AD.  They will make him better at reading, writing, and puzzle solving, but don't affect the progression of an organic disease.  I would let that issue drop.

Vitamins are good if there are vitamin deficiencies, like Vitamin D, but that was surely ruled out by the PCP before referral to a neurologist.  The people praising Prevagen on TV are paid for their testimonials, and I would not waste my money on that or other OTC remedies.

Acupuncture impacts the peripheral nerves, and I see no reason it would impact the brain.  I have never heard of anyone trying it for AD.

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thanks for your input
  • sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    I forgot to mention, prior to the Neuropsyhology testing, necessary X-ray we’re done that showed brain shrinkage

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more