Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What do I do

My wife of 20 years- the love of my life- has mild to moderate Alzheimer’s. She started just getting lost a little in the house and now is just slightly showing a once a week paranoia about loosing things. It’s been 2 years since diagnosed. 

Don’t get me wrong please but I need someone to talk to- this is not what I thought my hard worked for retirement would be for both of us.

It seems that this is just the beginning and I’m scared about the future and if I can handle it. I need someone really bad.

Comments

• 9ccd
    9ccd Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary
    It's probably going to get harder. I'm sorry to say. Plus you are not alone.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi Jer. Welcome to the forum. Sorry it is such a hard disease. I don't think most people experience the kind of problems she is having being in early stage after 2 years of diagnosis. But people are different in the symptoms they show, and it certainly could be progression. But it also is possible that she has a UTI. Infections like that can, and do cause very severe symptoms without showing the typical symptoms. If I were you, I would ask her PCP to run a urine test, and be sure to ask for a culture. If there is an infection the culture will give them the best information on the best way to treat it. Typically, when the infection is cleared up, the symptoms will cease shortly after. I wish you the best of luck with that. Keep posting. We're here to help.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Greetings jer210520.

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to talk and vent and learn and support and be supported. My husband has early onset Alzheimer's disease. He was diagnosed in February 2019, but showed symptoms long before then. In the early days, DH was losing things frequently. He occasionally gets lost in the house. 

This is a difficult journey but there are things you can do to make the journey less hard:

• don't look for trouble,
    • take it one day at a time,
    • come to the forum and talk to us. 
  • Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Jer. I am ten years down this road and my DW of 54 years is now in the very late stages of the disease and lives in a Memory Care Facility nearby. I remember well a few years ago being in your situation, feeling apprehensive and confused.

The one bit of advice I have for you is to reach out to your local Alzheimer’s Society. Hopefully you have an active Society nearby.  There you will find counseling and education. There will probably be support groups you could join composed of others who are sharing your experience. The counseling will provide you with practical advice about what plans you need to make and how to deal with the challenges that lie ahead. I waited four years before I reached out for help and with hindsight I know I should have  reached out sooner. The last six years have been difficult but the support and advice provided by the Society has been a godsend for me.

This forum also is a great place to share. You will find understanding and compassion here.

• Charvel1
    Charvel1 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Hey. I am just beginning this journey. This involves my Mother. Alz. And Dementia. What a roller coaster. Somedays im freakin a little cause its just NOT, my mom. Then other days , it is. Im learning lil more all the time.i feel your concerns.      John

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more