Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New about respite stay in Tunisia

Last Sunday, I left Tunisia. It was very easy as my partner preferred to stay there. He continues saying « everything is nice here, and how people are nice! »

The caregiver send me pictures and small movie every day. I call them every evening.

A typical day is

- 7:30-9:00 getting up, shower, shaving… and cleaning the room (the caregiver)

- 9:00-9:45 breakfast with a lot of choice (hotel breakfast) and then back to the room for toothbrushing

- 10:00-11:00 going to the marina or to the Medina
- 11:00-12:00 common activities, it can be plays, manual activities, danse, singing… yesterday it was rock dancing and I had a very nice video 
On Tuesday, they have aquagym 
-0:0-1:0 pm lunch
Then a quiet moment

- after 3 pm he goes to the swimming pool or have some appointments (doctor, speech therapist). On Sunday they all go to the Medina where the eat a waffle or an ice cream.

- between 4:0 and 5:0 pm they have a snack near the swimming pool.

-After 5:0, they often go to the beach of discuss with the others

-At 7:0 diner

-At 8:0 bedtime, is is very early and he watches tv

All this time the caregiver is with him. He has 2 caregivers. One for the beginning of the week, the other for the end. Both are very nice.

For the moment he doesn’t complain. On the contrary he is happy.

I now think that coming back home will be difficult. But we need to go to the court so that I will have the POA, everything is ready now. He will also have the trial in the MC here (no sun and no swimming pool here…).

Next week I will have holidays with my mother (hiking in the south of France) and I go back to Tunisia in 3 weeks.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    French that just sounds marvelous! I am so pleased for you. All of your hard work has paid off. Enjoy your holiday.
  • Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I'm glad to read from someone who has lived life outside the US. I myself am a retired American who has lived in Ghana for the past 11 years. I live with my family in a house near the ocean and only pay about a hundred dollars a month rent.

I left the US after our medical insurance refused to pay our high family medical bills and I had to go through bankruptcy. That was in 2007 and hopefully the health insurance situation has gotten better in the States.

I am 73 and lucky to be in good health and I am still jogging every day. I had a bad case of malaria a few months ago and spent two nights in a private hospital. They charged me a little over one hundred dollars. I caught malaria while on a trip. I am lucky that malaria is much less common where I am living.

I feel relieved that if I ever require at home care, we can hire a qualified nurse for about 200 dollars a month. I won't have to hire a lawyer or worry about how I pay the bills. Worry is bad for your health and I don't worry like I used to in the States. Health care may not be super high tech over here, but it is still pretty good and the medical people in general treat me much better.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    French, that is absolutely wonderful! It sounds like you couldn't ask for more. Good for both of you.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

French - that sounds like such a perfect place for your DH - and I think I'd enjoy it too!

I'm seriously so happy that he's comfortable there and that you're getting a chance to do somethings on your own. 

You're right about coming home being difficult. I can see how another change could be hard. Keep us updated on how that goes.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Hi French, 

While you were in Tunisia introducing your partner to the respite facility, I was placing my wife in a local MCF for a respite stay while I had surgery and while I recover.  The facility is 5 miles away, and I was able to bring stuff from home in several trips, and get additional clothing as requested by the staff. I don’t know how you dealt with getting it right in one trip, with no opportunity to bring more belongings or even visit. You must be a very strong, competent person. Hope all goes well!

Dave

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you for letting us know how he’s doing. It sounds like a very nice experience for him. I hope you enjoy every moment of your holiday.
  • janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    It sounds as if we could all benefit from a stay in Tunisia! How fortunate for you to get a break from caregiving and a holiday as well. Where in the south of France will you hike?
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

French,

Great news about your husband liking where he is. It must make life easier for you.

I hope when the time comes to place my husband, he will like where he ends up. 

I think now you can concentrate on your children and career.

• dolor
    dolor Member Posts: 2
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    Larry I have been wondering about you & how you're doing! Relieved to see you posting!
    The past year has been horror here. I'm in the state that has taken no action about Covid. I've lost count of the number of colleagues who have died this past year-6? 7? 

I too would like to leave the US  Did you go to Ghana cold or did you already know your partner. 

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

@Dave : yes preparing stuff was not easy… and I have always been called « madame moins ». There is never enough with me. He hadn’t enough shorts, so he went to buy some with his caregiver. It was an activity. He didn’t bring personal stuff. He isn’t very attached to things and I don’t know what I would have brought. He doesn’t seem to complain. And he spend very few time in his room.

@janeymac : I will first go in Avignon to visit a friend and then in Luberon to hike. I hope we will have sun because in the north of France, now it is a lot of rain

@all: yesterday we called him with friends, when they asked him how he was, he answered « very well, I am on holidays ». Here it is barely 15°C and rain, and he has 25 to 30°C, yes it is holidays.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    It is great that this worked out and you both can get a holiday you need.
  • janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    French - My daughter and I spent a week in Provence in 2019. We stayed in La Roquette while based in Arles, and visited Avignon, then went on an 8 hour guided wine tour in the Luberon. We were on a self-guided Van Gogh tour, so began our trip in Montmartre, and while in the south also visited Saint Remy and the Van Gogh exhibit at Carrieres de Lumieres at Les Baux. (Sorry for the missing accent marks). The only downside was that we had to leave. I hope your holiday is relaxing.
  • French

Saint Rémy de Provence today, with the Van Gogh tour too. Wonderful. We walked 5 hours in this magic smell of nature. 

Luberon is tomorrow 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Glad you're enjoying it. You'll remember this for a long time.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    French... your post has brought back lovely memories of a part of France where I was fortunate to spend some time. Avignon,,,the best, Is the merry-go-round still there?
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    We loved Saint Remy so much we went back for a second holiday there.  Also rented a house in the Luberon and had a memorable meal in les Alpilles at Le Bistrot du Paradou.  Thanks for inspiring me to recall wonderful holidays…when we were able to have them.
  • French

Yes jfkoc, there is still a marry-go-round on the city hall square.

Yesterday we were in Fontaine-du Vaucluse. Beautiful water. Today in the Colorado Provençal and in Roussillon. Very nice.

We walk about 5 hours per day and my mum (74 year today) is almost running so that to see everything

In Tunisia everything is still ok. I call every evening and receive pictures and movies. For the moment the only concern is that they seem to buy him new clothes. I don’t worry about the price, everything is cheap in Tunisia… no my concern is that they (the young caregivers) buy him clothes for old people (I find). I saw a picture on which he was wearing a green checked shirt with short sleeves.  He never wears green, hates checked shirts ne also hate short sleeves for shirts. It was so strange. I told him. He answered « yes it is awful ».

It is not important at all as he always tells me that everything is fine. People are so kind… he always repeats.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Glad to know all is well for both of you French!  Would that when I'm 74 I can walk five hours a day!!  Go Maman!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more