Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Home modification- financial help

Would Alzheimer’s, Medicare or any organization help financially? I am planning to have the bath tub to walk in shower conversion and grab bars put in the bathroom for DH who has Dementia.

Comments

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Sorry to say there is no help. At least when I inquired...we went ahead with our bathroom remodel because of my husband's AD. However, the money we spent to do this has been well worth it...I truly thought the expense would be deductible on our taxes but no.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Contact your AreaAgency on Aging and see if they would have any type of assistance for you
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

If you are in Texas, check out the 

Amy Young Barrier Removal (AYBR) Program

Eligible Activities:

Grant funds for accessibility modifications in renter- and owner-occupied housing; helps eliminate life-threatening hazards and correct unsafe conditions.

Eligible Applicants:

Units of general local government, Councils of Government, eligible nonprofit organizations, local mental health authorities, and Public Housing Authorities

Funding Access:

Eligible applicants may apply for funding to administer program activities through a Notice of Funding Availability (“NOFA”)

Program Availability:

Statewide via Reservation System

Beneficiaries:   

Persons with disabilities earning up to 80 percent area median family income (“AMFI”)

Consumer Help:

For local provider(s), visit Help for Texans and select the “Show only Home Modification for Accessibility providers” box under the “Home Repair” option

• Additional resources may be available through the Texas Information and Referral Network: Dial 2-1-1, call toll free 877-541-7905 or visit www.211texas.org
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sunshine, don't give up easily on finding help. Help might be available. Here is a link that might help find something. https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/resources/locator_tool  
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

In 2020, when we did our remodel (in Texas) the purchase of our whirlpool tub was tax exempt because it was recommended by our PCP for treatment of a medical condition. The big box home improvement store where we purchased the whirlpool tub was unfamiliar with the Texas statute. I had to bring a copy of the applicable Texas regulation along with the recommendation by the doctor (on letterhead) to obtain the tax exemption on the tub. I saved $56 in sales tax and I was grateful for the savings. But it was a hassle.

At irs.gov you will find the rules and regulations regarding deductions for home modifications due to a medical condition. Maybe crushed will chime in with the specific reference.

I agree that it is wise to check with your Area Agency on Aging.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Cherjer wrote:

Sorry to say there is no help. At least when I inquired...we went ahead with our bathroom remodel because of my husband's AD. However, the money we spent to do this has been well worth it...I truly thought the expense would be deductible on our taxes but no.

I had no problem at all deducting the "extra expenses" of course you have to itemize

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502#en_US_2020_publink1000178902
    Capital Expenses

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for special equipment installed in a home, or for improvements, if their main purpose is medical care for you, your spouse, or your dependent. The cost of permanent improvements that increase the value of your property may be partly included as a medical expense. The cost of the improvement is reduced by the increase in the value of your property. The difference is a medical expense. If the value of your property isn't increased by the improvement, the entire cost is included as a medical expense.

Certain improvements made to accommodate a home to your disabled condition, or that of your spouse or your dependents who live with you, don't usually increase the value of the home and the cost can be included in full as medical expenses. These improvements include, but aren't limited to, the following items.

• Constructing entrance or exit ramps for your home.

• Widening doorways at entrances or exits to your home.

• Widening or otherwise modifying hallways and interior doorways.

• Installing railings, support bars, or other modifications to bathrooms.

• Lowering or modifying kitchen cabinets and equipment.

• Moving or modifying electrical outlets and fixtures.

• Installing porch lifts and other forms of lifts (but elevators generally add value to the house).

• Modifying fire alarms, smoke detectors, and other warning systems.

• Modifying stairways.

• Adding handrails or grab bars anywhere (whether or not in bathrooms).

• Modifying hardware on doors.

• Modifying areas in front of entrance and exit doorways.

• Grading the ground to provide access to the residence.

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    My area has builders’ groups that often help with such changes for seniors or medical reasons. I’d contact your Area Agency on Aging, or your local Alzheimer’s Association to ask about groups that do this. Local Habitat for Humanity also might be able to refer you to groups who do this.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more