Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Our CELA experience

I’m telling about my wife’s and my experience with  a CELA to hopefully lessen the fears others may have concerning meeting with such an attorney. 

Several years ago my wife and I visited with an attorney to have our wills, POA’s, etc made up.After reading various comments on this forum about having a CELA involved,  we decided to have a CELA check them over and advise us of any changes or additions that should be made.  We were fortunate that someone made a recommendation and we went with that attorney. For us, a very wise choice.

We had our first appointment with the lady. “Maria” came into the conference room, introduced herself and instantly put us at ease. Talking with her was like talking with our next door neighbor over coffee. She went over our paper-work, found a mistake and told us she would make out financial POA’s for us and send us the drafts. We received the drafts and called her back with changes.

Today we had the second appointment with “Maria” to sign all the documents. This appointment went as smoothly as the first. We left knowing everything is in proper order for the future unless something pops up and needs changing. And….we don’t have to go back to see her for another three to five years! 

Yes, CELAs are expensive but we paid her for her knowledge. We feel it was money well spent. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more