Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Elder Care lawyers(2)

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Wow did I have an interesting experience finding an elder care lawyer. The first one I met with was highly recommended by members of a support group. She absolutely said I must get an Irrevocable trust and wanted $5000 plus $1000 a year. I asked her about an annuity and she said she’d never heard of that.

I met with another lawyer who told me to put the house in my name only and not worry about a trust.

When I mentioned this to the first lawyer she said that was absolutely incorrect and any lawyer who told me that didn’t know what they were doing.

I was so stressed. Reached out to lawyers all over the state. Everyone wanted money just to talk to me. I finally had the courage to tell my husband what was going on. I thought he’d be mad, instead was super supportive.

Today, we drove 40 minutes out of town and met a third lawyer and his team. What a difference! He walked us through all possibilities. Really explained in-depth what could happen and should happen. Agreed we did not need a trust at this time (just a special needs trust if I die before my husband). He explained annuity possibilities, encouraged us to check out assisted living now for the future, explained so much. I encourage everyone to shop around for the right CELA attorney. Lots of people call themselves elder care lawyers but don’t have the in-depth knowledge of what is entailed.

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Sorry you had so much tribulation with this.  I do wonder about not doing a Trust - without that, one has to go into Probate which can take a very, very long time and can be expensive.  A Trust will protect from that  as well as protecting property and other assets . . . . may want to do a little Google reading before asking for another legal opinion.  Many atty's will do a first contact telephone call at no cost; you can check that out.

Just be careful that you are covered for the future so no matter what happens, you and your family are protected.

J.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    The need for trusts depends on the type and quantity of assets you have. if your assets are in the form of income streams a trust is sometimes not very useful

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more