Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Trying to have a future

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I hope to go to Germany next week. I am fully vaccinated and boostered. I did my undergraduate thesis on the Nuremburg war crimes trials and and Ive lectured in Germany many times since 1980.   I have lots of friends there.  I am trying to build a future

All care taking for DW is in order.  Family and therapists are all supportive.  I have had no meaningful interaction with DW for over 3 years. But she tugs at my heartstrings every day.   Our first night in Europe was in 1977 in Rome. We had been married 2 years while she was a medical student.  Cheap pension with a view of the Colosseum.  Wrought iron bed and the most beautiful wonderful girl in the world  (and a brand new Doctor)    I remember it like yesterday.  In a real sense we began our real life together there.  

Those days are past now,
And in the past
they must remain   

Flowers of Scotland

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Gute Reise Crushed.  I studied in Hamburg for a year, one of the highlights of my college career.  Absolutely a great idea for you to go, no reason not to.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Your love will never stop pulling at your heartstrings. That pulling, that memory will be a part of your future. You will not be able to dismiss. It will rise  up and wash over you when it wants to.

Go to Germany looking forward to being with old friends. Make some new memories...happy ones and please take lots of pics to share with those of us who no longer travel. 

An after thought...extend your trip to include places   you have never been to like maybe Avignon or Lake Como.

• amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I wish you safe travels. Sounds like a wonderful trip. You deserve a chance to feel alive again.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Oops....just rmembered how far north Hamburg is. Maybe  Hanseatic City of Buxtehude would be easier to check out.
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Ich wünsche Ihnen auch eine gute Reise!   Ich war Deutschlehrerin...

In the summer of  1973, I  worked in Schleswig Holstein/St. Peter Ording.   DH was stationed  in Frankfurt. At that time, I was acquainted with DH (same hometown and mutual friends) so we arranged to spend a day together before I traveled north to my job.  It was the first time away from home for me and I was terribly homesick!  DH and I began to correspond by mail. In those days, letters back to the US took up to 7 days and another 7 days to get any response.  Mail from Frankfurt took only 1-2 days.  Long story short:  I discovered DH had a sense of humor and he had GREAT grammar.  Married in 1976.  Das is mein Leben...

Viel Spass in Deutschland.  

• Crushed
    jfkoc wrote:

An after thought...extend your trip to include places   you have never been to like maybe Avignon or Lake Como.

Just laughing since I was to both by 1981   I just looked at the biggest 50 cities in Germany and there was only one (Oberhausen) that I was not familiar with

I've had a wonderful career doing international safety and DW's work was much in demand in Europe Both times she found out she was pregnant we were in Germany.

But I am working on the go someplace new idea

• Crushed
    Lills wrote:

Ich wünsche Ihnen auch eine gute Reise!   Ich war Deutschlehrerin...

In my Jesuit high School  I was the ANKERMANN  in German
    the student with the lowest passing grade

When I was appointed Privatdozent at FH Munchen  I took my appointment paper back to my high school German  teacher

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Enjoy a much-needed trip.
  • JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    It will be different. You will feel the tug of the past. But, it will be good. Have the best time you can. Enjoy.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Have a nice travel. It is a good idea. Seeing friends also.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Have a wonderful trip!
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Crushed,    The trip will be good for you, please go and enjoy yourself.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ich wunsche Ihnen gute Reise. I have a BA in both French and German, and practice both languages as much as possible. Crushed, I wish you a lovely journey and lots of new possibilities.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Safe travels & have a great trip.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia