Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Spork(1)

DH is a good eater but struggles to finish everything on his plate/bowl.  I use a flexible plastic plate guard to keep him from shoving food over the side of the plate and I sit catty-corner to him, on his left, and move the food into position throughout his meal.  He does as well as can be expected, with perception problems, and I end up feeding him the last bites.  He can't figure out the difference between spearing and scooping various foods.  The result is about 2 of 5 attempts result in food going into the mouth, but he doggedly persists with self feeding.  

I decided to research sporks and found that many ads were for camping, for plastic ware, for implements including a built in knife, or just looked chintzy.  I took a leap of faith and based on images on their website, ordered 4 sporks from Crate and Barrel.  They are sturdy, attractive, and so far, seem to work well for DH.  Including shipping and handling, the total cost was $32.60 and I will leave one each at our daughter's and son's home.  

Has anyone else had success with the "spork"?  (Or not.....?)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Beachfan,

I've never tried the sporks but I've seen them advertised and in catalogs and it looks like they would do the job.  Hope you husband is able to use them to make things easier for both of you. Any thing that will help, even a little bit, is really worth it.  Good luck.

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Funny you should mention that. I was recently thinking about buying one because my husband is having a hard time using only a fork and will find a spoon easier to use at times.  I have been putting out both a salad fork and a spoon but then he gets confused about which one to use. The spork should solve that problem.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I switched to sporks and it’s been great for DH
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I never thought of a spork! I'm cutting up food more and giving DH a spoon or making the meal into finger foods. Waffles with your fingers? It works!  But a spork might work for many of our meals.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I'd thought of the plate guard but then one night when we were having a large salad for dinner I put his in a pretty pie dish that unfortunately doesn't get much use.  The high sides helped him corral the food and the fact that it somewhat resembles our dishes helped him accept it. When I set his dinner in front of him I said it looked like what would be served in a fancy restaurant and he liked that thought.  The sporks are next!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more