Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

GPS for Seniors

Does anyone have advice or recommendation for a simple GPS tracking watch for seniors? I'm not looking for a smartwatch, per se, as they can be pretty disorienting by themselves

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

We used the TheoraLink watch for awhile with good results. It has GPS and the ability for the wearer to call the caregiver by touching a button, and vice versa.

https://theoracare.com/theora-connect/

• Doug927
    Doug927 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Thanks!!
  • janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Hi Doug! H had a disturbing two-hour wandering episode lately, so I searched for a GPS of some sort. Verizon markets a watch for seniors, which I ordered, but it is seriously backordered. I canceled that order and got a kid's Verizon Gizmo watch. The one in stock had a pink band, so I ordered an extra-large black replacement band on Amazon and switched out the band in 30 seconds. 

He's been wearing it for a week now with mixed results due to his taking it off several times each day. The intervals of leaving it on are becoming longer with each day, so fingers crossed that he gets used to it.

Benefits are:

It works with his existing Verizon phone number. He can no longer use his iphone, so it was a wasted line. The phone line moved from iphone to Gizmo.

GPS and ability to set GPS boundaries that will alert me on my phone if he goes beyond.

Ability to set 10 contacts - these are the only people he can call and who can call him. This eliminates all spam and fraudster calls, and since we only set up three contacts, if he makes a call it will be to his immediate family. It's an easy swipe on the face of the watch to see his contacts IF he can remember or, more likely, if in a panic, he might swipe and see a familiar face. It's just a touch on the screen to make the call. There is also a text message feature, but I doubt he could manage that.

If we call him and he doesn't answer, the call will automatically be answered after one minute of ringing. This feature, plus the automatic speakerphone, will mean that he would hear me talking to him without his having to do anything, including actively answering the phone.

This is all new to us, so I will continue to report back if anyone is interested in our experience or the Gizmo performance.

• Mama Cass
    Mama Cass Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary

I have put an Apple Airtag on my DH's keychain and am tracking his phone as well.

I know those are easily left behind items.  He is still doing pretty good about getting around.

My County Sherriff offers a tracking program.  With a tracking device and prefiled form for recognizing him if they encounter him out and about.  That will be my next move.

You might check your Sherriff or other County/State offices for programs.

• aannaa
    aannaa Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    As for the air tag. This is a very convenient navigator, it is small and can be attached to anything, whether to her handbag or keys. I used this to my son who went to school himself. I didn’t know how to use it but found apple phone number ( https://apple.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html )and there I was told more about it. It turned out to be very simple so I can recommend it to
  • Doug C
    Doug C Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

I have had some recent scary situations with my DW wandering away. Since she no longer carries a cell phone, that eliminates the easiest way to keep an eye on her. She is with me almost all of the time....but it only takes a minute of two for someone to walk away

I went to T Mobile & got her a Smart Watch. T Mobile is my cell phone carrier. It really does a good job. We even went out & tested it. It shows exactly where she is

My wife will wear the watch. She does play with it a lot, but that has not caused a problem. the watch, of course, does other things besides being a GPS. We don`t use any of the other functions. she is really not capable.

I wish you well

• Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I use airtags mostly to help me find things like keys, wallet and glasses case.  They have been wonderful for that in the house.  It's GPS capabilities are all right but not great.  Sometimes it shows the person at a place where they were actually at hours before.  Or the wallet at one place and the keys at another when they are actually together.
  • grmajo
    grmajo Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    I am also looking for information about this. We currently have a GTX tracker. It is bulky and the service costs $50 every 3 months. One day this week it wouldn't tell me where he was for 5 hours. That's very frustrating. AirTag and the Tile have been suggested to me. I have an iphone and am able to use find my phone to know where my daughter is anywhere in the country. If AirTag uses that same technology, that is what I want. Thanks for any feedback on those devices.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more