Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Putting things in perspective

I was telling a friend about all the normal couples I saw this weekend having fun and about friends who just got back from three days at the beach and had a great time. She reminded me how my friend’s daughter died two years ago and that she is sad everyday. I will get past my husband’s dementia and eventual death but I will have my daughter. I wouldn’t change places with my friend.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Perspective says it all.
  • Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    My mother always said "No matter where you are in life, there is always someone better off and someone worse off." It's true when you think of it, and does help keep things in perspective. She was big on cliches, and would say "Cliches got that way because they're true."  Never doubt a mother's advice.........
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My own DH would often say, “You can always find someone/something else worse off than you.”  I would tell him that’s how I get through tough times.  My own mantra, “What’s plan B?”  

As I age, I see tragedy in other families. I truly believe if you put all your troubles in a bag and throw it in a corner, you’d go get your own bag back.  You are right, Gig, no trading places here.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more