Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Ativan vs. Cannabis

NB: This is not a recommendation, just sharing of experience.
My husband with mixed dementia has periods of severe agitation, especially when in unfamiliar places. I have noted the triggers and given him Ativan and cannabis edibles (not together!) and noted the following. Ativan seems to slow everything down and make him drowsy. It does not seem to eliminate the anxiety, just dull it a bit. One time he fell asleep, but continued shouting angrily in his sleep. Cannabis edibles (1:1 THC to CBD) changes his mood and eliminates the anxiety. His balance, gait, and all physical functioning remains the same. He usually speaks word salad, and it seems a little more tossed than usual when taking edibles (makes no difference as he is mostly unintelligible anyway). I am relieved to have found a way to make him more comfortable when in distress and to make life easier for me.

Comments

• larrymanire
    larrymanire Member Posts: 4
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Although my DW officially smokes pot for glaucoma it's always been to help with her anxiety issues, the same ones her mother had.  And now with her short term memory completely gone and early dementia setting in a few puffs a few times a day is even more comforting for her.  I've given up asking her to stop due to her COPD just as I've given up, as her cardiologists wants, for her to eat a plant based diet.  She loves her pot roast and meat loaf!  So at 81, whatever works is my motto.  Her rationale is "I've got little time left, and I'm going to enjoy it!"
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Interesting. Every day I become a stronger advocate for Cannibis.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I asked my husband’s neurologist if he could prescribe medical marijuana for my husband, who has become increasingly agitated and angry. Instead, the doctor upped the antidepressant. He said he wouldn’t know how much cannabis to prescribe. I thought it was a cop-out, as we used to say. NY state recently legalized pot. If I become desperate, I may deal with this with the help of my daughters.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    If DH were to become agitated I would not hesitate to go with the cannabis instead of the benzodiazepines. Ativan, Xanax, Valium---are terribly addictive with horrific side effects---including death from withdrawal. No thanks.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Hi Lynn...could you give me more information...did you have talk to dr. about the edibles? My husband takes Ativan when caregiver comes or when I take him to Alzheimers center for activities but I am really interested in what has worked for you. Would love more information.
  • Boxerlover53
    Boxerlover53 Member Posts: 11
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Lynne, I also notice that my hubby seems less anxious and more calm when using edibles which isn't often.  I bought some that were 1:2 (less thc more cbd) and I gave him 1/4 of the gummy. Like you had stated, my hubby did not have issues with balance or gait. His communication was unchanged but he seemed more relaxed.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Cherjer,

I did not consult the doctor, and had not been using the Ativan regularly. My husband had been on anti-seizure medication, which is contra-indicated with cannabis, but no longer is. His only medications are for high blood pressure, acid reflux, and high cholesterol.

I purchased the edibles in a legal state. The bud tender (a real job description) recommended 1:1 THC to CBD when I explained the purpose. 100 mg each. 

I hope this helps. I feel like I need to find my own way on this and do not expect a physician to be able to partner with me on it. I have only used it as needed, in stressful situations like unfamiliar environments.

For me, the benefit of the anxiety being lifted from my husband is worth what unknown risks there may be. My HWD really made an impact when he sat, confused and tearful, on a hotel room bed and said “I just want to be myself again.” 

Holler if I can answer any other questions.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

1.  Most important:  Do No Harm - these substances can sometimes cause unforeseen and unwanted effects/interactions with prescription meds, so before starting, please do speak to both your Loved One's physician as well as your pharmacist to ensure there will be no negative effects on medically necessary meds needed for other conditions.

2.  We don't know what we don't know.  That is a big one.  There is a LOT more to screen for than just purchasing the substance and moving forward - in this light, I am providing links to of all things, Consumer Reports magazine that has done an excellent job of sharing what one would want to look and screen for to safely making such a purchase.   

https://www.consumerreports.org/cbd/how-to-shop-for-cbd/

https://www.consumerreports.org/cbd/what-is-cbd-what-to-know-about-this-cannabis-product/

https://www.consumerreports.org/cbd/safe-cbd-use/

J.

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Lynne D,  Glad to hear the edibles are making your husband more comfortable and your life a bit easier.  A couple of years ago I occasionally gave my husband edibles which I purchased from a dispensary in Massachusetts, as well as flower to smoke.  They both had a calming effect for a short time.  He's in the severe stage of AD and would spit out the edible now and doesn't know how to smoke.    I certainly agree with the motto "Whatever works"!
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Jo C. 

Thanks for the links and cautions. 

We who are caregivers TODAY need help, and cannabis it a complex drug. Has the Alzheimer’s Association dedicated funds to its study, or is your funding just towards research for a cure? 

There are plenty of us with tremendous struggles and have no hope for a cure for our loved ones. We are finding our own way through a complex maze medical, emotional, and financial issues. Sometimes we choose options which may not be thoroughly researched, not because we don’t care for our loved ones, but out of desperation.

• Jo C.

That last paragraph says it all so well, Lynne.  I know that science is looking for a Cure as well as Prevention  (in caps on purpose), but the here and now with dread behaviors causing suffering for not only the caregivers but also for the person experiencing them seems to be lacking except for the psych meds that have been around for a very long time and come with some pretty hefty issues themselves.

Yes; more study is needed and while I have not looked for it, I will begin to do so to see if there are any credible significant studies being done with CBD, etc. for dementia patients - but then, there are different types of dementia so what fits for one type . . . . . who knows how it would fit for another.   Just seems that these issues have not got the attention they so badly need

J..

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi Lynn,

Thank you so much for this information and totally agree that we have to find our own way on this terrible disease. I learn so much on this site and really appreciate what you have shared.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Glad to know it helps some of you. I tried a little CBD cream a couple times, very small amount, on myself just to experiment, and noticed I had a strange depressive episode later on, caused a strange crying jag. I'm leary of using it now. Maybe it affects my hormones? I know everyone is different.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DH has been using cannabis (weed) recreationally since his teens. We have been completely honest with all of his health care team regarding his cannabis use.

DH has tried CBD capsules and gummies. He did not notice a significant reduction in his anxiety.

DH has great difficulty smoking weed now. Edibles make ingesting the THC easier. The weed helps with DH's agitation, but it makes DH's balance worse. I have to carefully monitor how much weed DH ingests and be prepared and available to assist DH move around the house.

Its a cost benefit analysis consideration for me. Is agitated anxious DH a better choice than off balance DH? I make the decision on a case by case basis.

I have used the cbd bath bombs. I feel very relaxed after a bath with the cbd bath bombs. I am unsure if it is the cbd in the bath bomb or the tranquility of soaking in a hot bath tub for twenty minutes.

DH has not used Ativan and neither have I. SO I cannot compare the two. I can only provide our experience with weed.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    quite abit online....I googled CBD Alzheimer's
  • kemobetter
    kemobetter Member Posts: 8
    First Comment
    That’s interesting. Thanks for sharing this insight! It means there’s still a lot we need to learn about cannabis and how it works. I also take CBD gummies to help my back pains and anxiety, and I can state that these supplements changed my life because now I feel much better than I used to. Now I handle stress much better and do not worry too much about what other people think about me. I got my gummies thanks to https://marijuanadoctor.com/locations/marijuana-doctor-dania-beach, and I cannot thank them enough for this discovery. I was skeptical at the beginning, but it improved significantly over time.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Another old thread brought up regarding cannabis.  Lynne's spouse has passed on.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I reported the 10/26 post, this seems to be solicitation that has brought up these old cannabis threads lately
  • kemobetter
    kemobetter Member Posts: 8
    First Comment
    That’s interesting. Thanks for sharing this insight! It means there’s still a lot we need to learn about cannabis and how it works. I also take CBD gummies to help my back pains and anxiety, and I can state that these supplements changed my life because now I feel much better than I used to. Now I handle stress much better and do not worry too much about what other people think about me. I got my gummies thanks to https://marijuanadoctor.com/locations/marijuana-doctor-dania-beach, and I cannot thank them enough for this discovery. I was skeptical at the beginning, but it improved significantly over time.
  • Jo C.

Yes, M1; good catch. That was the dynamic for pulling up the old Threads.  In my reading, I did find an outright solictation marketing for said substances.  It was reported and consequently deleted by Admin.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney