Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New here(15)

Hi, I don’t know if I’m doing this correctly, but I wanted to post for the first time. I’m new here 

My spouse appears to have some sort of dementia hitting rapidly . Hard for doctors to determine whether alz or ppa ( primary progressive aphasia ). Whatever it is, I really thought it was Covid stress. Now here I am reaching out to join in with supporting each other.  Three years ago, I retired early. Now a year and half ago, my spouse forgot his phone and pin numbers. Fast forward six months Later he failed a cognitive, license suspended , and wow Now we’re at the point alarming doors, working n the alphabet, and he needs assistance in dressing, hygiene, showers, etc. I’m a little overwhelmed with the fast changes. That’s why possibly ppa. It’s apparently quick.  Anyone else with this?Or any advice? I am-seeking some outside help as I budget. Thanks.  I’m glad to talk with others going thru this hard season  xo. 

Comments

• Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Spanky: sorry you find yourself here, but in this forum you will find understanding and support. You are wise to reach out for help and advice because dealing with dementia as a caregiver is not a task one can take on alone. My suggestion would be to call your local Alzheimer’s Society and arrange for a discussion with a counselor. You will be given good advice about how to proceed and what supports may be available. You need to take some legal steps, POA’s for finance and health care decisions. Establishing a link with an Alzheimer’s counselor will help in the coming months with making plans for what lies ahead. This was my experience, our local Alzheimer’s Society kept me afloat through the most difficult periods of my wife’s illness. You will be challenged but I am confident you will find the strength to deal with the future if you reach out and accept help. Keep us informed. You will find here good advice from others who are on the same journey as you.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Has anyone mentioned an MRI? Due to the rapid decline I wonder if it could possibly be vascular dementia.
  • Cathy123
    Cathy123 Member Posts: 14
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments

Wow and welcome here. 

Super great advice above and can be all overwhelming to deal with but know you are never alone here. 

Legal stuff is important to get “your ducks in a row” with future relief and start of Plan A, B, C...

Medical Testings are important for a baseline start for progression comparison. 

Sounds like you are on a fast track of all sorts of changes.  Hoping you solicit friends and family assistance. 

Wealth of information on here at this site with practical applications. Please make the time to take care of yourself. 

Prayers and well wishes go out to you 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Spanky, welcome to the forum. Sorry you need to be here, but this is a good place for support and understanding.

I'm not sure if he is capable of understanding what he signs, but it sounds like you really need to see a CELA (certified elder law attorney), yesterday. This is something that you need to do very soon unless you already have all your bases covered. 

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Spanky 77,

Just to add my voice of support and caring for what you are going through - the advice from others on this forum was so good.  I know the Alzheimer's Association people will help you to figure things out.  My DH was independent until about 1 1/2 years ago and he changed quickly, losing  those same skills - probable Alzheimer's but not a clear cut diagnosis.  I did go to an elder lawyer and it was really just in time.  Prayers for you Spanky and take care of you - and know that you have friends here.

• Spanky77
    Spanky77 Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Thank you all for your support, suggestions, prayers, everything.  I’ve never heard of a CELA, but I do have POA and we have a living trust with health directives, too. I will read on cela and talk to our trust attorney.  My DH had mri awhile back. There are spots of atrophy in various places that showed up.  I just am amazed how quick this is.  I keep wondering what triggered, but that’s my ignorance with this awful sickness. Also, at night when it’s quiet for a few minutes, the reality hits hard. Gosh. I know God in control, but it’s scary. Thank you, again. It helps seeing others share their situations and safety ideas. My DH has attempted to go outside. I have alarms ordered, bells on the doors, and sometimes he realizes what he did and stops. Oh, and my DH is eating but is so thin. His blood tests are fine. Is this common? Well, it’s 12:30 am and I hear him stirring.   Sincerely, spanky.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Welcome to the forum, Spanky.  I'm sorry you need to be here.  It's a hard road but the dear people here make it a lot better.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more