Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is a Real ID necessary?

My DH drivers license expires next Monday. I took him to the MVA to get a Real ID in place of a Drivers License. The clerk we saw told us he needed to have a social security benefits summery that list both his full name and his birth date. The Birth Certificate we have was issued by the hospital where he was born, has a  raised stamp and even has his footprints on it. They said that was not good enough.  My question: If we do plan on any travel via, airline, bus or train, out of the States, is it really necessary to have a "Real ID?"

I have looked on the SSA website and see a benefit summary, but it does not list both his full name along with his social security number.

Comments

• Tklbmom
    Tklbmom Member Posts: 3
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment
    To fly within the United States you need the Real ID. I don't know the effective date. You can check with the DMV or TSA.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

1 ) the hospital certificate s a souvenir but you have all the data you need to get a birth certificate,

2) the benefits verification letter you get on my social security is what they want

they asked for The clerk we saw told us he needed to have a social security benefits summery that list both his full name and his birth date.

they did not ask for the SS#

• Crushed
    PLEASE PUT YOUR STATE IN YOU PROFILE
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

Crushed - You don't have to yell! LOL  We live in Maryland. We had what they listed as necessary, I had his 2020 - 1099 from social security, The vehicle registration, the only birth certificate we have ever had for him, a current Utility bill, and his current drivers license.He will never again travel by any commercial carrier, so is there a reason that we truly need to get one?  If this is a battle I must face, fine I will, but if it's not, I would prefer to not have to deal with this. It's exhausting visiting the MVA, even with an appointment.

When I renewed my license a few years back they accepted what I always thought of as my Birth Certificate, although it does not have the word "certificate" on it, instead is says Birth Registration. It was questioned, but they accepted it. My DL is a "Real ID."  Just frustrating...

• shardy
    shardy Member Posts: 43
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

Just a thought, Jim also would not fly but every year we were asked to produce his state issued ID when we filed federal taxes.

In our state getting the ID was simple.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

A real ID ( rather than a normal state ID) is only required to fly or to enter federal buildings. A current passport can be used in these two instances.  If he has a passport, just use that and  a normal state  ID otherwise. 

In our state, a tax statement w-2, or 1099,  can be used to prove  social security number rather than the actual card.  

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    A passport is a real ID.  If you travel outside the US, I presume you have a passport.
  • amicrazytoo

Shards - Good thought, forgot about tax filing. Guess I will face the pain. It seems to be a crap shoot on the clerk you get. Thanks!

Never had a passport, did most of our out of country traveling prior to 9/11. Never traveled to Europe.

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Real ID is necessary for aviation travel.  Otherwise, you can get an ordinary State ID in most states.  You are correct that if he is never going travel, the Real ID is unnecessary.
  • Crushed

here is Maryland information

How to identify a certified Birth Certificate

Maryland Birth Certificates and the REAL ID Act

Over the years, Maryland has mailed out birth registration notices to new parents to let them know that the birth of their child had been officially registered. Usually these notices were clearly labeled as notifications. However, in some years, they looked very similar to certified copies of birth certificates. Additionally, complicating matters, various agencies in the past would accept these birth registration notices as documentation of birth. 

The Federal REAL ID Act requires that only certified copies of birth certificates (or a current U.S. passport) may be used as documentation of birth to obtain a REAL ID compliant driver’s license. Maryland now requires that new or renewing driver’s licenses be REAL ID compliant. 

If you are unsure whether you have a valid certified copy of a Maryland birth certificate,  please review the labeling on the document that you have and use the information below to identify whether your document is a registration notice or a certified copy of a birth certificate.

Defining Characteristics of Maryland Birth Certificates over the last 100 years

Birth certificates were issued by Baltimore City and the 23 counties from 1918 through 1972. For these years, they would list the local health department at the top of the certificate, rather than State Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Beginning in 1973, registration of certificates was centralized at the State level.

Based on the year of birth and the jurisdiction that issued the certificate, please verify that your document contains the defining term listed in the table below. If it does not, then you will need to request a certified birth certificate. Note that documents containing the term 'Certification of Birth' are NOT birth certificates. These were birth registration notices. 

https://health.maryland.gov/vsa/Pages/certbirthcert.aspx

• amicrazytoo
    Crushed - to further complicate things, my DH was actually born in Washington DC, but his parents resided in Maryland. Which is very common in this particular area. I wonder if it would be easier to get him a passport...
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    amicrazytoo wrote:

My DH drivers license expires next Monday. I took him to the MVA to get a Real ID in place of a Drivers License. The clerk we saw told us he needed to have a social security benefits summery that list both his full name and his birth date. The Birth Certificate we have was issued by the hospital where he was born, has a  raised stamp and even has his footprints on it. They said that was not good enough.  My question: If we do plan on any travel via, airline, bus or train, out of the States, is it really necessary to have a "Real ID?"

I have looked on the SSA website and see a benefit summary, but it does not list both his full name along with his social security number.

I had the same problem in September. Since my wife was able to renew by their web sight I dropped the request for a State ID and renewed her license for 8 years even though she is not able drive because of dementia and physical handicaps.  CRAZY

• Crushed
    amicrazytoo wrote:
    Crushed - to further complicate things, my DH was actually born in Washington DC, but his parents resided in Maryland. Which is very common in this particular area. I wonder if it would be easier to get him a passport...

I live in Md Both Daughters were born in DC No problem getting a DC birth certificate and no you cant get a passport without a proper birth certificate (for a native born citizen)

https://dchealth.dc.gov/service/birth-certificates

You will need your POA

• Blazenegl
    Blazenegl Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited April 25

Basically, if your DH isn't planning any air travel or visits to places like military bases or federal courthouses, he might not need it right away.
    As for the Social Security benefits summary, it sounds like they're being pretty strict about the documentation. It might be worth calling the MVA or checking their website to see if there are any alternative documents they accept.
    And if you're still on the hunt for info, I have a suggestion. You might want to try using an identity validation API tool. It could help you find the info you need without all the hassle.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I don't plan on getting a REAl ID. I have a passport which is acceptable for air travel and entry to federal courthouses. I don't know about military bases. I got a passport for my sister back when she was stage 4 and could understand what we were doing.

My objections to REAL IDs are related to privacy. I don't have a lot of faith that state DMVs will be able to secure all of that very personally identifiable information. With all of that information all in one place, it's going to be attractive to bad actors, including hackers. I can't keep everything private, but at least I can limit the damage.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

very old thread from 2021.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

@M1 - but a subject that I did a lot of work on back in the day. The gravitational pull was too much to resist. 🙂

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I live in Maryland. I just renewed my DH's license on line but opted for the ID instead of the license. I received an email that his license needed to be renewed, used the link included in the email. I was not asked for any material. I did receive a letter asking to sign a document that he was no longer qualified to have a driver's license. I simply wrote on the reasons section that he had advanced alzheimer's. Got the the ID the following week and he didn't even notice. I would get the ID as you never know if it will be needed for other things. We are sometimes asked for an official ID with a picture when we go to the doctor's offices.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I faced the Real ID question awhile back for DW, because her driver's license expires soon. I decided just to renew her regular license online, because we both have current passports that we could use to fly, not that that's likely anytime soon.

DW hasn't driven in a couple of years and hasn't really shown any inclination to do so, but she still believes she drives. I was afraid if we went to the MVA, it would be clear to the staff that she's not mentally competent, and they might refuse to issue a new license, Real ID or otherwise. That might provoke a fight with DW that I had so far managed to avoid. As it is, I fudged by claiming she was competent on the online renewal. I didn't want her to have to attest to that in person.

As it happens, I renewed recently and did get a Real ID. When DW looks at it, she asks, "What's that Real ID thing, and why don't I have that?" I just tell her she doesn't need it, because she has a passport.

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

the real ID will be required for domestic travel within the U.S. starting in May 2025

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@Lgb35

The real ID I’d/DL requirement can be satisfied by presenting a valid passport. Either will work for flying or entering a federal building. My state has gone out of their way to tell people this so that they can decide whether they want one or not.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more