Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Husband wants to come back home from MCF

My husband has been in a wonderful MCF for 6 weeks and at every visit all he talks about is moving back home.  I have tried to change the subject but it always comes back to that.  How do I deal with it?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum disone.  I'm so sorry, I know that's hard to listen to.  I don't have personal experience with placement yet, but if you search through old threads, this comes up frequently.  Six weeks seems to be a MINIMUM time for adjusting to MC, and it may take much longer--and you may need to not visit while he adjusts.  What comes up on other threads is to talk to the staff by telephone rather than try to visit--they will let you know of issues.  You may be a trigger for him, and staying away for a while may be in both of your best interests.

I'm sure others will chime in too.  You've come to a good, supportive place.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Dlsone, I think M1 covered it pretty well. You might talk to the staff to see if they have any suggestions. My expectation is that they will suggest that you stay away for a while, so he can adjust a little better. I'm sorry it's so hard. My wife is still at home, so I'm just going by what I've read in multiple posts about this.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Therapeutic fibbing.  Tell him that the doctor wants him to stay for a while.  Or the roof needs to be repaired first.  Or you have to help your sister with her sick husband.  Or your doctor wants you to have less stress and he has to approve.  Etc.  It's tough.  Good luck.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Some folks take much longer to settle in. If fibs don’t work, you might have to stay away until he does settle in. I realize how hard this is and I’m sorry.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more