Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DW Depends leaks and I'm doing laundry every other day!

My wife is 5 years into ALZ/Dementia and degenerating quickly.  She wears Depends all day and all night.  But, if I'm not cautious enough, she's in them too long and she'll have wet her pants as well.  

The process of caring for her bathroom needs is already "over the top" but we're trucking along.  Any suggestions?  

Comments

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I’m sorry this is happening. I hate this disease. Is it possible to change her depends more often or does she fight you? Bickering and arguing with my LO to change her, wears me out and frustrates me to no end! I recommend covering your furniture with potty pads to protect it. My LO has ruined a couch, love seat and a recliner. These days she sits everywhere, not just in her recliner. Short of changing her more often, I don’t know what else you can do.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Not all incontinence products are created equal.  We changed to Abri Flex M2 (M2 is the size) pullups.  They are Swedish? and will contain at least three times the amount of fluids that Depends will hold.  Expensive and worth it.  Note that it is a trade off.  If you see even the slightest redness on the skin, they need to be changed more often.  Just like with little kids, the skin needs to be treated properly.  Good luck.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello Curious. We were using the Abri Flex pull ups, but changed to Dry Direct pull ups. With the Abri Flex, I was washing bedding 4 or 5 times a week. AbriFlex was definitely a step up from the brands usually carried by the stores, but they just didn't work too efficiently for us. That's not to say they won't work for you. They are high quality. But we've had more luck with the Dry Direct brand, made in Italy. I'd rather buy U.S. made, but I need something that works best for us. These hold a LOT, and they keep her pretty dry through the night. Another member said they didn't fit her husband very well, but I think you can order samples. Other members seem to be happy with the product. I think the only way you can really know which is best for you is to try them to see. Here's a link, and they are offering 20% discount on your first order. FYI they make more than one type, so check them out. https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/dry-direct-ultimate-protective-underwear-for-adults-9300/p/?onsite=ddspecial  

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    On the website Parentgiving.com there's a very absorbent brand called Dry Direct.  I highly recommend it.  It's the only brand that can handle my husband's urinary incontinence for almost a day when he gives me a really hard time when it comes time to change him.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more