Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Es dementia for DH, patch

DH still in denial, planning to start him on 4.6 mg of excelon on patch. Anyone has experienced, does it work? Side effects etc. thanks 

Two main meds for AZ on market gave him side effects.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi sunshine. Here is a link. You can find side effects and other information here. https://www.drugs.com/search.php?searchterm=exelon  
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Please read about anosognosia, Sunshine.  If you continue to think of your DH as being in denial, I think things will be harder on you.  

Iris L.

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

I asked the neurologist to prescribe excelon patch and he did. I didn’t know that there was a pill available too. DH has not started on 4.5 mg of patch yet. I wonder if the pill would be better suited as it’s available in lower strength. 

Two meds on the market for AZ 

, Aricept ( passed out)and memantine ( confusion)gave him side effects, so had to stop those.

Thanks for the link.

His excessive daytime sleeping 3-4 hours a day at a stretch is driving me crazy!

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Thanks Iris, I looked it up, what do I do about it? How do I handle the response - I have a great memory!

Soo hard!

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Sunshine...My DH has taken the Exelon patch since diagnosis in 2013. His dosage is 13.3 mg...never had an issue with it and so easy to put on (easier than swallowing pills!). I think it has slowed down AD in the beginning years but not sure how effective it is now that he has progressed in the past few years, Having said that I will continue having  him use the patch. Years ago our neurologist told us to continue on all his medications...he does not like taking his medications (except the patch!), but I will carry on!

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sunshine, there is an article about how to deal with anosognosia, but I don't have a link.  Basically you stop trying to wait for your LO to come to you asking for help.  You accept that your LO has no awareness of the reality of his situation.  You learn work-arounds to get things done.  Learn from the members, they know what to do.  

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney