Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

High blood pressure

DH who is 91 and has moderate dementia ( Alzheimer's ) has recently had very high blood pressure. He has taken BP med for many years and was cut down to 1 pill a day a few years ago. Recently his  BP has risen dramatically and the Dr said to increase the med to 2x a day. At first the top number went down to 145 which is ok for him but the past couple of days it is back to 169 top number. The PA told him to drink at least 50 ounces of water a day and my DH is terrible re: drinking much water. I have to choose my battles and he just takes a few sips. He likes milk and juice but does not like to drink water.

Has anyone else experienced BP problems with their loved one and any advice re: HOW to get him to drink more water? He of course gets NO exercise.

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DH is 58. He has early onset Alzheimer's disease (EOAD). He is late stage 6. 

DH had a heart attack in 2015 and was put on high blood pressure meds at that time. During the last 2 years his blood pressure has gone WAY down and the docs have adjusted his meds. They have also instructed him to drink more water. My strategy is to ensure he always has a glass of water. However, he will only take a couple of sips. I remind him to drink it. He says he does but I am always picking up nearly full water glasses.

I am in a similar boat for different reasons. I am frustrated too.

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Blood pressure had always been an issue with my DW.  She was a very active runner, liked vegetables, and was physically thin but still seemed to always have high BP.  For many years she was on various meds to keep in under control.  I would check it regularly.  About two years ago it started to go down to where it was too low.  After consultation with her PCP I stopped the BP meds.  For the last 2 years now she has had very normal BP.   I continue to monitor her BP. 

I have not found any explanation.  Rick

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I have had trouble drinking enough water for quite a while. For the last few months I have been buying bottled water, and there is always a bottle next to me when I'm sitting down. I find myself reaching for a drink quite often, and I think I am drinking plenty now. It's just that it's always there for me that makes the difference.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My dad has the same problem with drinking enough water.

Things which have helped some:

He has a water jug with level markings, top and a straw next to him.  It gives him and us a visual of just how much water has been drunk.

Also bought small bottles of water and put numbers on them...1, 2, 3...so that we and he can see if the goal can be met.

Not sure how helpful, but helps to identify amounts if nothing else.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I am not yet being faced with the problem of my husband drinking enough fluids. When I give him something he drinks it. I have thought about what I want to happen if I develop dementia and I have discussed it with my daughter. When I no longer know where I am and no longer recognize anyone and need help with everything I have asked her not to force fluids and food on me. If I stop eating and drinking without a lot of encouragement I  will take that as a signal that my body is shutting down. I have also asked her not to  give me prescription medicine to prolong my life. I don’t want to extend a life that has no quality. I am not sure how much I will push my husband when this change occurs but I think I will err on the side of letting nature take its course much as people in third world countries do. It will be hard.
  • Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    I think there are two separate issues here:  the blood pressure being elevated and the need to drink adequate amounts of liquid (not just water - any liquid). Drastically increasing the amounts of fluids will not do a lot to lower BP; in fact, it raises BP (the more fluid in the pipes, the higher the pressure, and vice versa).
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    I advise you to listen to your medical experts regarding drinking water and its positive/negative impact on blood pressure.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Since he likes juice, why not flavor his water?  Make some cucumber water, pour two glasses, and drink them together.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more