Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Loss of connectedness

Hello all, haven't been on in a while. DH has had a relatively calm several weeks - minimal outbursts (I have to remind myself that anger between partners happens even without dementia!), so that has been good. He has been asking to go for rides several times a week, which is also good. 

During our drives, I realized that one of the losses created by dementia is the loss of "inside jokes". So sad to have to explain an inside joke to DH, or when he doesn't remember events from our past travels.

Comments

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I find it heartbreaking when my very witty husband doesn’t skewer me with his cracks like he used to. I miss his sense of humour the most because he used to make me roar with laughter. I do miss our inside jokes and his commentary on what he was seeing around him. All of that is gone now.
  • aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

Loss of special sense of humor was actually one of the first changes I noticed, and it made me really sad.  It made me realize what a big part of our relationship the sense of humor and witty responses were.  It took me quite a while to realize that he also didn't understand when I was joking.

Now I'm in stage 8, so no longer faced with the day-to-day, I regularly think of comments he'd be making, and it makes me smile.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more