Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

called the doctor in tears

The weekend was okay, well, if you call no major toilet accidents ok. Then this morning he needed a shower, got him in there, then as he was coming out, he had explosive diarrhea, in the shower, on the bathroom floor and then on the bedroom carpet. Not to go in to many details but I was dry heaving the length of the time it took me to clean him up, the bathroom up and the bedroom. Been in tears ever since, so just put a call into our PCP sobbing I have just about had it and what can I do. Very understanding girl said she would text our doctor and let me know what they think. Told her I was at the end of my rope. I hate that I'm not strong enough for this, I know so many others are. I just am not.

Comments

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'd be upset too if I had to clean up diarrhea.  My husband's bowel movements have slowed down significantly.  I dread the day he has diarrhea.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear My2Goldens,

Explosive diarrhea is a lot to deal with. Please be gentle with yourself. I am glad you reached out to your doctor. I hope the doctor can help.

I am sending you cyberhugs and hoping that you get some relief soon.

Take care.

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Oh my goodness my2goldens...diarrhea, one of the caregiver's biggest dread!  I had a major breakdown this morning from an incident that had far less consequences than what you went through this morning.  I think you deserve a medal for what you dealt with!!
  • Grandx7
    Grandx7 Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary

I completely agree with you and understand.  I’m a retired nurse that specifically went into Pediatrics- Premature babies to be exact -  because I don’t deal well with any adult by-products.  That has come back to haunt me - big time! I have no suggests, just tremendous amounts of empathy.  Prior to my DH, I took care of my parents before they went to Heaven.  I now keep a large plastic trash bag, rubber disposable gloves, a mask and lots of Lysol wipes readily available in the bathrooms.  

It is very difficult.  I also called our gastroenterologist and he recommended Imodium AD to try and slow the bowels down a bit and said that the constipation that may occur is easier to handle and manage than the runs.  Hope this helps!  

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My2goldens,

I get you so well. I have cried during cleaning up poo. It is horrible. I have had the dry heaves as well. Sometimes it takes an incident like this to see how far we have fallen down the rabbit hole. I am glad you reached out to your doctor. I am an up to date member of the gloves and javex brigade. Here’s hoping the doctor can help.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    I will add my sympathy and respect for what you are handling. Poop is always bad, but diarrhea is the worst. I have done my share of cleanups, and it is never easy. I have mastered holding down the dry heaves, but an occasional heave comes through. My DW is no longer at home, but she has had accidents in my presence in my he MCF and in the hospital. Lu lily, others had the cleanup task.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    my2goldens,
    I am sorry your DH has reached this point.  I have no advice, only the deepest empathy.  If nothing else, you have a good outlet here. You can whine, moan, vent, seek and/or give advice and be assured that we are all in the same boat, some of us are just paddling more frantically.  I hope things get better with some support from your doctor.  And, by the way, you are strong, stronger than you think- -  just look at what you tackled this morning!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My 2goldens, I can only say you are one strong woman! I’m just trying to get through all the pee on the floor, all around the pot. This disease is the worst thing in the world. My heart goes out to you!
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    It is horrible to clean up poop. I found that a few drops of clove oil in a mask helped a lot to cover up the smell. Apparently I had Covid in January without feeling sick. I lost absolutely all sense of smell and most taste. I cannot smell poop or ammonia so I would be the perfect person to do your cleanup duties. Imodium would help stop the diarrhea. If you had reached your limit care might be the best option for you. You could then go back to being his wife.
  • Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I feel for you as my DH also has crohn's disease and diarrhea is a daily occurrence. Luckily he was wearing Depends when he has an accident and not in the shower but cleanup was still involved. I did get this hint to use foaming shaving product to wipe up the bowel movement. It helps to use that product and also helps to dissipate the awful stench. Lots of paper towels too and then put in a plastic bag and take out to the garbage. 

Sending supportive hugs your way! 

• my2goldens
    my2goldens Member Posts: 10
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    nurse called back, immodium ok. we had a minor accident this morning, still required cleanup. more gagging, but I managed.  I'm wondering if there is any other thing he could take, does a metamucil type product help firm stool up? I don't have a lot of experience, kind of flying by the seat of my pants here.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Google Metamucil and stool to learn how it can be used to bulk up the stool.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

You might try this, with the doctors agreement.  Get some Pedialyte or other clear fluid until the diarrhea lessens.  Then provide the BRAT diet: bananas rice applesauce and toast.  Modify as needed until the bowels seem better.  Advance the diet slowly avoiding milk and spicy and fried greasy foods.  This is what we advised in pediatrics. 

Is this diarrhea a one time thing from a virus or bad food, or does he have a chronic gastrointestinal problem?

Iris 

• Lovetoteach
    Lovetoteach Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary

I just joined.

My husband was just diagnosed and prescribed

donepezil 5 mg.  He scored 23/30 on the cognitive assessment.

What does that really mean?

What can I expect next?

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am so sorry that this happened and can well understand your feelings; this can often be the ultimate challenge that changes so much.   I wonder: Is this just a one time occurence, or is he having further additional uncontrolled diarrhea movements which sounds as though that is not his usual behavior?

If he is having an abrupt onset of multiple daily liquid diarrhea which he cannot control; it would be a good idea to have the doctor order lab study to rule out c.Difficile as well as other infectious issues which must be treated asap so as not to become a healthcare danger.  In some infectious situations, it is not appropriate to give an anti-diarrheal med, so do follow the doctor's instructions on this matter.

If the diarrhea is ongoing multiples, doctor will order labs; one would get proper containers from the lab (important to have proper containers as some come with pertinent types of preservative.)  If he is able to make it to the toilet with his diarrhea, the lab can provide you with a toilet "hat" to catch the stool. 

If not a medical issue, do see Marta's information regarding Metamucil and bulking the stool.  Depending on the cause, one may want to modify the diet until any temporary issue is resolved - take your doctor's recommendation regarding the diet, the diagnosis and treatment.

My heart goes out to you; I am sending an electronic hug along with warm thoughts.  Let us know how you are doing and how things are going; we will be thinking of you and we truly do care.

J.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

My2goldens, is he taking meds that could contribute?  Just curious and worth considering if there's anything that could be discontinued to make your life easier.

Lovetoteach, welcome to the forum.  You will get more responses to your questions if you start a new thread--no worries, this always takes some getting used to.  Look for the green "new topic" or "start topic" button at the top of each forum page (Caregivers forum, Spousal forum, etc).

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more