Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

need some help suggestions

Good day Everyone. My DH was diagnosed some months back. He usually seems quite happy and we are trying to sort out best way to move forward - selling businesses and home to move to a place with better healthcare etc. He has recently started to have some manic episodes and I am afraid that I am not reacting the best way to be able to calm him down. It has become more frequent and even though it is upsetting it seems like in an hour or so he has totally forgotten about it and is his sweet self again. I think I need help as far as finding either a therapist or support group so that I can try to understand the best way to react, deal with this and maintain my patience. And moving forward I think I am going to need that to just cope with the situation. Will welcome any / all suggestions. Feeling a little overwhelmed. Thank you

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hi Linda...
    Of course you feel overwhelmed...you have been thrown into the deep end of the poole and do not knowhow to swim. the good news is that there is a lot of education waiting for you....books, youtube, online and we are always here to share information and to support you.

A support group and/or therapist can be helpful tto you but probably not  your husband.

Moving to where there is  better care is a very wise choice. You want to have as many people on your team as possible. Will you also be nearer to family? 

Reacting...first of all do  your best not to add to the fire. Validation is a key as is remaining calm. Do not argue or reason and try not to say no. do your best to "float through". Yes, it takes practice.

Read and post often....

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney