Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH sleeps 3-5 hours during day

DH with mild dementia is sleeping excessive, after waking up he is angry and aggressive!

What do I do?

Waiting for Exelon patch, otherwise no Lz meds

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Seizure can be one of the later complications of Alzheimer's Disease.  In the later stages they sleep a lot.  Was he ever tested for sleep apnea?

Iris 

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Yes, he was tested for sleep apnea,used Cpap machine for a while, later he was told, he doesn’t need it anymore.

He has been having seizures for nearly two years, no one could figure out why he was having them. I didn’t start him on any meds till I knew the reason. In the end I gave him and put him on Keppra, bought him a Apple Watch that has a fall detection feature. Now, if he would use it!

Keeping my fingers crossed, plan to start him on 4.6 mg of exelon patch. First we are getting the COVID booster shots!

Meanwhile, there is bound to be a breakthrough medication for AZ as more population is living longer! 

Hats off to all the caregivers who look after their loved ones - unpaid care 24/7!

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi sunshine 5,

Does your DH sleep well at night?  My DH was taking long naps during the day, has AZ and also was getting over a stroke, but we gradually reduced the time he napped, with his cooperation.  He actually feels better and does better cognitively with fewer naps, some days now no naps.  He seemed to just take a nap as a habit.  I realize that this may not be the case for you at all, just mentioning it.  Bless you and I hope you find rest for yourself.   Hang in there. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more