Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nor’easter Aftermath - Likely No Power For Days

Joe C.
Joe C. Member Posts: 944
Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
Cape Cod & SE Mass got walloped with a Nor’easter last night. Woke up about 3:00 AM with no power. Being a former utility worker I know all to well that this restoration in going to take a week until all are restored. Hope my area is early in the restoration queue. I have a backup generator for light, heat, refrigerator & TV but will be grilling out until power is restored. Just a little something to make the journey a little more challenging. On a bright note I did get DW in the shower yesterday! Happy that worked before we lost power.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sorry you have something else to work around, Joe. But glad you were able to get her in the shower. Keeping fingers crossed for you. Hope you didn't get flooded too.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Be safe Joe.  Glad you have that generator.
  • Boxerlover53
    Boxerlover53 Member Posts: 11
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    I hope your power is restored sooner than later.  It's certainly inconvenient but more so when dealing with AD. We lose power frequently and I think I have mastered how to get the generator running. My DH used to handle that task but it's too confusing for him now.  Glad you were able to get your wife showered beforehand!
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    We had high winds here too but nothing like the damage in SE Mass.  Sorry that you have to deal with this on top of everything else.  Fingers crossed you get power back sooner than you anticipate.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Glad you have a generator and it's not snowing yet. Stay warm, hope you get power back sooner than you think.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    We lose power often enough that my wife took it in stride, even in later stages of AD. She’s in the MCF now, and they have emergency power.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Knowing that you have a generator has to help make you feel better. Yea that the shower was completed. It seems as though you've got a plan. Grilling out is always good - no pans to wash. Touch base and let us know how you are fairing.

eagle

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    The utility gods smiled on me today and power was restored about noon. I feel blessed because over 300K customers are still without power.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

So good that your power is back on.

Back in February we had the infamous deep freeze with epic power grid failure in Texas and lost power for 36 hours---8 degrees outside and 40 in the house.

No well; no septic, no power.Resorted to putting plastic tubs under gutter drains when it started to thaw to catch water for cleaning. At least I had a gas stove so was able to keep a large pot of snow water simmering to clean with.Also gather snow to throw in the bathtub to use for flushing.. My pond was frozen solid.

Felt like a Pioneer woman and kept wondering how in the world my direct ancestors who came in 1683 to the colony of Pennsylvania ever, ever survived!!

Carry on!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Joe, I'm glad you got the power back on. Too bad there are still so many people without it.
  • janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Glad to hear all is well and that you're back on the grid. We didn't get much of anything from that storm here in Vermont. We've had a generator for two years, but have yet to need it. Your post reminded me that our grill is out of propane, though!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Joe, so glad you have your power back on! Hope all the other folks get theirs soon.          Drina, February was horrible! I was melting the snow also. That week truly taught me I would never make it up north. I have a lot of respect for the people that do.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more