Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Indoor locks?

My DH has been attempting to go outside at night. I am ordering alarms, but I was told I should check on Indoor locks, too.  I was wondering what brands or styles do others use? He is mild/moderate but quick at the door. Thanks for any suggestions. Man, this is tough. Thx.

Comments

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

You could install a double cylinder deadbolt lock. A key is needed to lock and unlock the door from the outside and the inside. In that case, a key needs to be placed near the door on the inside so that it can be found easily. Placing the key high or low may prevent your husband from seeing it. There are also different childproof door locks available. I suggest checking on Amazon. In my wife’s case we have a fenced in yard with locked gates. Alarms on the doors that me know when she’s going out so I can keep a watch on her.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I have looked at the "childproofing" doorknob covers. They do not lock the doors for others, but your loved one would need to have the knowledge and strength to squeeze the cover to turn the knob. This is what I'm planning to get if/when it comes to that.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Arrowhead wrote:

You could install a double cylinder deadbolt lock.

Double cylinder locks are of course a death trap in a fire.  (not a rare event with dementia patients)   get advice form a locksmith   In our area we have combination locks that have an emergency button override located away from the lock. 

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I consider locks early on in the journey but went with alarms instead for the fire safety reasons that Crushed raised. I don’t want DW getting out under normal circumstances but in an emergency situation I don’t want to prevent her from exiting either. I would even hesitate using a locking device with a bypass like Crushed mentioned because DW could never learn to use the bypass at this point. The emergency could be something other than a fire. For example if I fell, blacked out or had a heart attack would I want DW trap in the house, that would potentially put both of us at greater risk.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    A hook and eye placed above eye can be asimple fix.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    We used a small sliding bolt lock put up high for my MIL. But there were two of us watching her, and the risk of not being able to exit was very minimal. Today I agree with Joe. The alarm sounds like a much better option to me.
  • Spanky77
    Spanky77 Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Thank you, everyone. This is all very helpful.
  • Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
  • extex
    extex Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thank goodness for our home alarm system.  It includes a “stay” button which allows us to move about the house after it is turned on but the alarm will not activate unless a door or window is opened.  When the alarm is triggered a siren in the garage attic notifies everyone within 1/4 miles. The alarm monitor people also send law enforcement.  Now if I could only remember to set it every night.
  • cconner71074
    cconner71074 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Hi! Hope everything is well, do you mind sharing the system you use? I'm looking for the best one for my Dad, it's getting to be that time. Is there an alert that would go to your phone instead of out loud? Thanks so much.

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

About alarm systems, I liked the one my LO had. It had a Stay feature but what was really useful was that it announced each time a door was opened and told you which one. You could hear it clearly no matter where you were in the house and since there were multiple doors it was really great. My LO only got as far as the steps twice.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more