Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH says he thinks he’s going to die soon.

My DH is in good physical health. FTD. AD, Mixed dementia, VD are what he’s been diagnosed with but there has not been a timeline given to us for him.  Per the Alzheimer’s information, they show that he is in stage five. He’s able to take care of it next self except his hygiene has gone downhill dramatically. Eating habits have changed and it’s difficult to find foods that he likes and will eat other than sweets.  He has recently become aware that he put weight on and is now trying not to eat but a small amount all day.  About two weeks ago, he quit eating the cookies and ice cream he was eating all day long.  He exercises fairly regularly and has decided he wants to join a gym again to lose weight. He thinks we are keeping information from him on his longevity.  I try and reassure him that isn’t the case- to no avail.  I’ve seen this in patients that have cancer or are elderly and getting near the end but I’m not familiar with this disease having premonitions or is it just delusional thoughts? He’s 74.  I’ve noticed changes for about 16 years, more pronounced the past eight and very significant the past year and a half.  Thank you foe any thoughts and input.

Comments

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    My stepfather had a severe heart attack at age 78. About 10 days later he seemed to be quite a bit better. However, that day he told my mom that he thought he was going to die soon and that he was ready to go, but he didn't want to leave her. She tried to reassure him. Later that day he had a cardiac arrest and they were unable to resuscitate him. So, yes, some people do have premonitions.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The biggest regret I carry is that I did not validate my husbands thoughts about his death.
    Please give your husband the time to express his feelings about this...really listen before you start reassuring .
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

DW doesn't think she has a lot of time left, either.  Like your husband, she is 74, has a fatal illness, and is aware of it.  Her biggest fear is outliving me and being left alone, so reassurance means keeping concerns about my own health between me and my doctor.  Reassurance is telling her I am with her, however long we have together.  And when I tell her I don't know how long we have, that is the truth.

We attended the funeral of a friend who died of AD at 69 a few weeks ago.  She is with it enough to know exactly what is going on.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    At our visit with my DH’s psychiatrist a couple months ago, DH told doctor he feels like he is dying. I was surprised because he mostly tells me everything he thinks about. Said he feels as though he’s just fading away. I later asked him if there was anything else he needed to tell me, said he didn’t want me to be worried about him all the time. I do listen to what he has to say but most of the time he jumps from one subject to another.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband periodically mentions that he thinks he is dying, which is strange because he says he “ doesn’t have Alzheimers anymore” He is otherwise in good health. 

On May 9 , he turned to me and said “ I think I’m going to die soon”  

He is now on Hospice 

• Grandx7
    Grandx7 Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Thank you for all of the comments and experiences you are sharing.  My DH has also started saying I need to be sure I don’t die before him.  I have a cold and he is so attentive, which is very sweet, but he’s now anxious if I’m out of his sight.  Reading these entires helps to make sense of his new concerns about my health- which is fine except arthritis. I’d get annoyed at his hovering except now I understand why he’s doing this.  He’s not one to express any fears except now he’s tells me he doesn’t want to burden me knowing what is to come down the road with this disease.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more