Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Follow-up on Seroquel Rx

There was a post about Seroquel a couple of weeks ago. I expressed interest because my husband was experiencing delusions and temper-explosions. I gave in to the neurologist’s suggesting Seroquel, in addition to the antidepressants. Many replies noted how effective it had been for their LO.
The change in my husband after just two weeks has been dramatic. His explosions are less frequent and more mild. The delusions have disappeared. I know this may well be temporary but I’ll take it. He’s currently on the lowest dose. I’ll report the good news to the neurologist this week. Meanwhile I’m getting a bit of my own respite care, at least that’s how it feels.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So glad it’s made a difference Paris20
  • shardy
    shardy Member Posts: 43
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments
    Wonderful!  That's how it was for us also,  I could see the difference in approximately two weeks. But be forewarned, when we first started it years ago we increased about every six months as the behavior returned. It took us multiple increases to get to a solid good place. But each time about 2-2.5 weeks after the increase he got relief. And so did I.
  • Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Paris,

I was the one who posted about Seroquel to control my DH’s delusions and agitation. He is taking 50 mg a day in two doses and his improvement has been remarkable. He talks about his delusion once in a while but there is no emotion attached to it, so he can be distracted. I am so glad is working for your DH too!

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Paris, I’m happy the seroquil is working for your husbands anxiety/delusions. DW has been on seroquil for 19 months starting at 25 mg. Over that time when I notice her anxiety starting to increase I let her neurologist know and we tweak the dosing, now she is at 100 mg at day. This medication has been a lifesaver for both of our wellbeings.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Isn't it great when you find something that actually works? I'm happy for you.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Thanks to all who helped me to make the decision to try this medication for my husband. This week has been SO much better than the last several months. My only regret is that I waited too long. No more questions about his mother, his brother, going home, etc. No more attacking the caregiver…or me. I know it will end at some point but right now I feel like I’m on vacation, with only incessant repetition and no short term memory…piece of cake!
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Paris20 - Seroquel is the only way I can keep my DH at home. And it likely saved an injury (me) back when he was hallucinating and delusional about non-existent intruders, and stashing knives etc. under the mattress for late night battles. 

It was a scary time for me, and I learned since then to think of how anxious and miserable my DH must have been to trigger that kind of behavior. So, the Seroquel/Quetiapine was the best solution for many reasons. Two years later (ish) he is now taking 250mg daily. 100mg in the morning, 50 in the early afternoon pre-sundowning, and 100 at bedtime.

So, as shardy mentioned, be prepared to have to tweak it periodically -- just keep the doc advised when (not if) the behavior seems to be ramping up again, though it may be several months.

Good for you, for using the available tools to help both you and your DH navigate the rough waters of dementia.

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    My husband has been taking Seroquel since 2016 due to his agitation.  He's currently on 400mg per day.  It has been increased over the years, started with 25mg per day.   I wouldn't be taking care of him if it wasn't for this medication.
  • Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Paris20,

After a month and a half of relative peace, my DH’s delusion and severe agitation came raging back. His  geriatric Pschyatrist recommended to increase the dose to 75 mg of Seroquel a day. Let us hope the effects of the drug kick in. We are going to participate in a clinical trial of a synthetic THC to treat agitation, I will post the results, hopefully it works.

• markus8174
    markus8174 Member Posts: 76
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    I also found good results with the use of Seroquel for my DW. We were at a programed dose of 25mg daily with an additional 25mg as needed. She rarely needed the "as needed" dose. As a nurse in critical care floor I was familiar with Seroquel long before my beloved's AD was diagnosed. The jingle we often quoted was "make them well with Seroquel !". It's effect on ICU psychosis was astonishing after only 1 or 2 doses. (Of course we gave it IV with aggitated patients) and often had to use a short term tranquilizer (Atavan) to scale back the patient's anxiety. It was Seroquel that not only calmed the patient, but restored them to normal orientation without having to resort to heavy sedation to keep them from injury.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you for the followup; it is wonderful that this medication has brought so much relief to both yourself and your husband.  Bringing him peace has given him a much better quality of life as much as can be under the circumstances.   So glad this has helped.  

My step-dad also had wonderful results with Seroquel low dose in a.m. . . . in a few months, it was evident that it did not have as strong an effect as before.  Dose was increased, given once in a.m. BUT what we found was that if we changed how the med was given -  he got a low dose in the morning and again in the late afternoon/early evening, he continued to do very well and was stable.  This was effective for years until his death far later from causes other than dementia.

Each person is different and we make adjustments as we move forward.  Hopefully this will continue to work well for your DH and you.

J.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia