Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Severe Stage EOAD Husband stays in bed longer

For over a week now my husband has been staying in bed much longer than he ever has. He sleeps solidly for hours and when he wakes he just lays in bed talking and clapping.  Friday he went to bed at 2:30pm and got out of bed Saturday morning at 10:30 am.  (20 hours spent in his bed).  Before that it has been up to 16 hrs.  He's still in bed as I type this (going on 18hrs).  His usual time for going to bed now is around 2:30pm.  He typically gets up during the night when he has the urge to urinate, wears depends all the time, but the past few days he's ben staying in his bed.  It seems like every year around this time, especially November, he declines further.  

Yesterday afternoon his doctor came over to give him his annual flu shot.  His blood pressure and heart rate were good.  Has lost some weight.  Alzheimer's is taking him down.  

Has anyone's LO been through a similar situation?  I'm wondering if this is a precursor to immobility.

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DH with EOAD is also sleeping more. Around 4 or 5 pm each day DH starts asking when are we going to bed. I try to keep him up until 7pm but we are going to bed around 6 pm now. The sun sets around 6:50 pm here now.

DH used to get up at 4:30 am. Now he is sleeping until 7:30 am. After breakfast in the morning, he retreats to his man cave to watch a news/opinion show. I can hear him snoring while the TV is on. My guess is DH sleeps about 15 hours in a 24 hour day.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife sleeps about 11 hours per night, and naps during the day. Total sleep is roughly 14 - 15 hours per day.
  • janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

My H began going to bed between 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. about a week ago. He also announces he's going to bed for the night at various times in the early afternoon, but I point out that it's still daytime and he stays up. Previously, he would go to bed somewhere between 9 p.m. and midnight. He sleeps until 7 a.m., regardless, so he's getting at least 12 hours of continuous sleep overnight. He also naps for 5 to 10 minutes several times per day, but seems to spring back up out of bed and dresses in a new outfit.

I, too, have been wondering if the long overnight sleep is a sign that he's progressing into a new phase.  He currently has all indications of Stage 6, absent regular incontinence (he's had a few sporadic issues).

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    My DW is now consistently sleeping 13-14-15 hours overnight, starting around 7:30 to 8 pm.  Daytime sleeping is more variable—sometimes not much at all, sometimes several hours, on and off.  Late stage 6.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more