Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mobility problems

Pam BH
Pam BH Member Posts: 195
100 Comments Second Anniversary
For some time DH occasionally has problems standing and walking but after a few steps didn't need assistance other than a cane, although a little wobbly as usual. Thoughts were it was a balance issue. For past 2 weeks he has constant problems standing from a sitting position and then walking, No longer a balance issue but weakness in legs and problems moving his feet. Twice in last week he abruptly stops walking, cannot move feet, and has vacant blank stare that lasts 3-4 minutes. Has to be helped to a chair.  Not sure if this is dementia related (mixed dementia, AZ and VaD) or aging (he'll be 90 in 2 weeks).  Has anyone else experienced this and is it a sign of impending immobility?

Comments

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

PAM, I’m sorry that you’re dealing with this on top of everything else. My husband is 78 and, although not as physically limited as your husband, he is definitely headed in that direction. Two years ago we went to the YMCA each day to work out. Now he has great difficulty getting out of bed, or even a chair, is very wobbly when he takes his first steps after getting up, and walks in a bent-over position, which has contributed to falling. His balance is shaky at best. I had a physical therapist come to the house but it was impossible for DH to remember what to do, even when I tried to help. He accused me of being a nag.

One thing that has helped a little, albeit very little, is to make sure my husband doesn’t go hungry. I used to be foolish enough to ask him what he wanted to eat before meals. He always said  «nothing» and ate nothing. I stopped that. I now give him what I eat and we always eat together. His weight and gait are now better. Still, I know at some point he will be severely impaired, on many levels.

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi Pam, the road we are on is stressful. I feel for what you are going through. 

My DH will turn 82 in a couple of weeks and moves quite similar to your DH. 

I've noticed it is worse if he falls asleep in his recliner and then tries to stand up and walk.

Mostly I try to be there and assist him until he can be a little more steady and balanced. 

If I am not close by, I will say to do it slowly and he does, Well, he moves slowly all of the time.

The vacant look I've not noticed, as his looks is mostly vacant with the progression of Alzheimer's.  Also, my husband has not ever abruptly stopped walking unable to move his feet.  Do you help him to his chair during that time or wait for him to "become aware" again?

Paris, my husband will not do any kind of physical therapy/exercises. I had a knee replacement last April, so do PT daily along with balance exercises daily, but DH will not join in even when I've asked.  I wish he would, but in all of the surgeries he had over the years, he refused PT saying he didn't have time. 

A great idea not to ask what he wants to eat. Mine still puts together a sandwich every day for lunch, if ever so slowly. I have not so far offered to do this and don't even remember how this ever started.  He also warms up a blueberry muffin for his breakfast each day. The evening meal I cook and serve.

Take care.

Nancy

• Pam BH

Nancyj - I help him to the nearest chair which so far has always been close or roll a kitchen chair to him and sit him in it.  He does so much better with a walker but refuses to give in and use it but it will just be a matter of time that he'll have to.  

Paris - you may have hit on something with food. He's been concerned with weight gain for the last month and has cut down on what he wants to eat. Definitely worth trying to increase his food intake.  Weight gain is due to one of his meds but he doesn't recognize that.

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Hi Pam, Hopefully he will eventually use the walker on a daily basis.  It is such an easy fix for unsteadiness. Perhaps when he is unsteady have the walker close by and put it in front of him.
    Just a thought.  
     I failed to mention about our evening meal. I will tell DH what meal I have planned and is that okay. He mostly says yes, but now and then says he would rather have something else, which I fix.  He eats so little, but something is better than nothing. I have protein drinks which he chose chocolate and he will drink half of the drink now and then.  
    His weight is the lowest it has ever been, but he is proud of being thin. Not sure what that's about, as he was always a normal weight.  

Every night I fix him a little scoop of ice cream. He eats a bite and then it sits there and melts. Then he spills it trying to spoon it down. uff

He does like key lime pie and will eat the small slice right down.  Anyway, it's hit and miss how much he will eat each day.

• Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Pam,  My husband sounds exactly like yours!  He is 87 years old. He has had quite a few times when he is totally lost with a blank look and can't seem to get to a chair.  I also help him and it takes him 15-20 minutes for him to come around.  

He has mobility issues all the time and I got him to use a walker about 2 years ago by simply hiding his cane.  He was so unsure on his feet that he didn't complain a lot about using the walker because he feels safer.  He simply doesn't have any stamina and his legs are getting weaker and weaker.  

I know it won't be long before he can't get out of his chair.  Then I will have problems because I have osteoporosis and try to be very careful around him -- so he doesn't cause me to fall and also to be careful of my back when helping him with his shower and getting dressed. 

• Pam BH
    Farm Gal, yes, they do sound alike. Yesterday did not go well. Woke up to the invisible underground fence for the dog chirping indicating there was a break in the wire somewhere. Of course DH was positive the 2 of us could fix it, with me knowing it was just a matter of time before I'd call his son to do it but had no idea it would be so soon.  We'd just got out to the first place to check for the break which was just into the woods and DH fell. I was behind him and saw he just missed a small PVC pipe sticking up out of the ground (no idea why) that would have gone right in his butt. Yikes! I can usually get DH up using techniques from the videos but couldn't this time because of the hilly terrain that was soft from leaves, had twigs, logs, holes and the PVC pipe. Tried several times but DH's legs were too weak. Called neighbor to help. DH was not hurt but very embarrassed. Got him inside and he used the walker rest of the day. Stubborn today so he's not using a walker or cane, just holding onto something with every step.  For last 2 weeks have been working with him on leg exercises and also insisting on him eating more.
  • Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

My hubby has had home PT but of course he can't remember what to do let alone agree to do any exercises.  Tonight he could barely get from his recliner to the bed. He has no strength and said he didn't feel well after dinner.  Can't ever tell me what is wrong but fell asleep in his recliner by 5;30 so he had an early evening.   I guess it's time to be thinking of getting the wheelchair ready.  

Hope tomorrow is better for you!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney