Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Week-end to my parents with poop accident

As my brother came back from New York with his wife and son, my sisters and me gathered to my parents last weekend. They saw my partner last time in June. So only 4 months bu were shocked bout the changes.

Last time as in the morning I was running early  in the forest, my partner arrived for the breakfast with his short on his pyjama. My brother helped him to put his clothes on and was very surprised how complicated it was. It is easier with his son, who is 3.

This time, he had to help me to manage a bowel problem. I should have anticipated. My partner ate very few at lunch and I know that it is a sign. The problem is that the toilets are so small and the door in opening in, not out, so that I can’t accompany him. And when is in the toilet, there isn’t enough place to open the door, so I can’t see what’s happening. But the initial problem is that he went too late or tried to poop still standing, i will never know. So, he was in the toilets with poop in his underwear, on his hands… but I couldn’t enter and help. The result is that at the end there was poop everywhere on the toilets tiles, door…

Hopefully while I was managing the shower and clothes cleaning, my young bother managed the toilets cleaning.

The others where waiting to enroll my partner in an activity so that he will forget that there has been an issue (he is very ashamed).

When everything was cleaned, everything was forgotten.

When I told to my brother it wasn’t so difficult because it happens only about once a week, he was shocked. For him, it is already a lot. But for me, compared with what I read here, it is nothing… I imagine you understand.

The good news is that he repeatedly said he wants to go back in Tunisia. When my sister asked how long he wants to go there he answered 1 or 2 years.

Comments

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi French,

I am really glad your husband likes Tunisia. This will make it easier for you when you have to decide where would be best for him. As for the poo incident, people really do not understand how quickly dementia patients deteriorate.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    French, As difficult as it is to have accidents/incidents when we are around other family members, I also believe it is good for them to see what challenges we face on a daily basis.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    French, I am sorry you had to deal with that. But if there's an upside to it, you will probably get a lot more understanding from family members now. It's amazing how much they can learn in just a few moments when the time is right.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Wow. What a time.

It's amazing how we can see the patterns after the fact. DH hasn't had poo issues YET, but he deals more with constipation right now. And that's a problem itself. 

It says so much about your family that they were willing to help out and not make your partner feel bad. 

I'm glad he liked Tunisia. That means you have a good option!

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    French, you are so blessed to have a understanding and caring family. They truly saw how hard this is for you and your partner. God bless you and your family!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more