Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thank goodness for the waterproof mattress protector

DH had a urinary accident in the bed last night. His disposable briefs could not handle all the fluid. DH's jammies were soaked. The fitted sheet, flat sheet, regular mattress pad and water proof crib pad were soaked. THANKS GOODNESS for the waterproof mattress protector. We use the 6 sided model with the zipper. It saved our mattress.

Thanks to this forum, and the care giver heroes here, I knew about layering the linens. That made getting the wet ones off the bed easier.

Interestingly, DH was completely unaware that he and the bed were wet. Prior to the accident, DH was especially fidgety. I asked him several times if he needed the bathroom. His response was no.

If you haven't invested in a water proof mattress protector, I encourage you to do so.

Comments

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Not to offer unsolicited advice to you, LT, but from my perspective, I never second guess DH where the toilet is concerned.  If he is overly or unusually fidgety during the night, or anytime, I just take him to the bathroom, no questions asked.  He usually goes; I’ve found if I ask him if he has to go, he might say “no”.  (I’m not sure he totally comprehends the question.). Just another approach to an ongoing problem.  (Glad you had all that protection in place!)
  • extex
    extex Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I use a waterproof mattress cover plus sheet saver water proof pads for my wife.  I also wake her to use a bedside commode at 1100pm and 300am. Saves me a whole bunch of sheet washing.  I also get to sleep in until 7am.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Thank goodness for all the products out there to keep the mattresses dry - washable and disposable.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more