Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Great book for newcomers, and reminders

A “how to” for caregivers new to this disease, and a good “wrap-up,” for everyone,  I found this book on Amazon called “Caregiver Overwhelmed: How to Cope with Alzheimer’s and Dementia.” has tons of great advice. 

The title sounds dramatic,  but it is a straight-forward, easy- to- read book of tips for all kinds of problem behaviors, organized  by the seven stages. Includes bathing, sundowning, helpful fibs, toileting, wandering, much more. 

It describes different dementias, and the stages. Then it gives caregivers concise coping tips for each stage problems. .I thought it was much easier to read than the 36-Hour Day, and very oriented to the caregiver. It’s not long, maybe 120 pages? (On my kindle).

I mentioned newcomers because many of the tips have given on this board over the last few years. But I forgot a lot, and it’s nice to have it all together in one, easy-to-manage/find, book. Written by an RN and professional caregiver.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Thank You. It sounds like it might be a "must have" book.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yes thanks for the tip--
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you, it sounds like something I can use!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more