Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Home caregiver for DH who gets delusions.and agitations when I leave

Every time I leave the house my husband thinks I am having an affair, it triggers his delusions and agitation. Where can I find a caregiver that can deal with him?

Comments

• Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Delusions and paranoid thoughts are not uncommon and may get worse. Has he been assessed by a Geriatric Psychiatrist? There are medications that can reduce the emotional agitation if it becomes worse. You must be aware of the possibility of a violent reaction as his condition progresses. His thoughts are real to him and his emotional responses may become unregulated. Before my DW was placed in MC her delusions and paranoia became extreme and she would hit me, throw things and try to force me from our house because she did not recognize me. At that point, because she might possibly injure me, her doctor prescribed low dose antipsychotic medication and recommended seeking placement. The meds helped her greatly. She still had deluded thoughts, but without an extreme emotional response. Her life became calmer. The old cliche applies in your situation: Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
  • Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Ernie123,

My DH is taking 50 mg Seroquel for about a month and a half, his behavior has improved a lot but he had a major meltdown today when I tried to leave for a few hours. My adult son was with him and invited him to lunch but he refused to go. 

I am worried that no one will want to be his caregiver if his behavior doesn’t improve.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more