Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Recommendations for waterproof mattress cover?

My DH is reaching the stage in his Alzheimer's that he's becoming incontinent occasionally and insists he isn't. Hasn't wet the bed yet but I notice stains on his undies when I do the laundry. Can anyone recommend a good waterproof mattress cover? Also good incontinence briefs recommendations would be appreciated. This is all new to me and would like advice on how prepare for it. Thanks.

Comments

• jdmg1
    jdmg1 Member Posts: 5
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    I used washable chucks.  Two of them, not on top of each other, but end to end and under the sheet and on top of the mattress protector. I never had any issues with the mattress getting soiled.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    There are a lot of choices for mattress covers and pads on Amazon.  When my husband first became incontinent I mainly used the CVS brand of disposable briefs.  Now I use Dry Direct from a website called Parentgiving.com.  They've been the most absorbent for him.  I use washable and disposable pads to layer on his bed.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Amazon calls them matress encasements....6 sided with a zipper. That is your starting point. From there you layer up. I used crib sized pads then the smaller hospital washable ones. You will figure  out what you need as you progress but for now get that mattess protected.

Also time to get some disposable pads for upholstered chairs.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Another vote for Dry Direct from parentgiving.com. It's really a good product, and you can get pullups or side taped. You can also order samples, but in my experience it takes a little longer to get the sample product.
  • jane8851
    jane8851 Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Thank you all. I'm learning so much from this forum. It's so hard taking care of my husband and taking over all the things he used to do. I'm so glad I found you all. It helps knowing I'm not alone.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more