Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Happy Veterans' Day - Thank you for your service

To all the Veterans and your loved ones, 

Thank you for your courage, commitment and sacrifice.

with tremendous gratitude,

Lady Texan

Comments

• extex
    extex Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thank you.  The most rememberable 20 years of my life.  That is, until alz took over our house.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    My husband was a young 2nd lieutenant when he experienced his very first time on an airplane....to Vietnam!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Dear LT, Thank you for this post. I hope things are going as well as possible at your house.        Dear extx, Thank you for your service to our country!  

Dear June45, Thank you for sharing the picture of your husband in his uniform. That's very thoughtful of you. 

To all of our Veterans, you have my respect and my sincere appreciation. Always.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    AAbsolutely  you folks are the greatest for what you  did for all of us.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My dad who is 96 with dementia is a vet of WWII.  A young country boy who had never been very far from the place he was born ended up in Germany.

Thankfully his high school courses got him into the Signal Corps and not on the front line.  He lost many of his class mates at the Battle of the Bulge.

His service got him a college degree and he was fortunate to have his first office job as an accountant with a family owned company.  He was with them 50 years and held many positions of responsibility.  He became the financial person of choice for the company's family personal affairs as well.

He has cared for his close and extended family financially and emotionally thru his entire life.  Now it is our turn to care for him.

I salute you Dad, and all who have served their country with distinction.

Regardless of how this disease ravages your mind, you will always be remembered as a man of courage, integrity and heart.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Lady T, thank you for this special post. I add my gratitude and heartfelt well wishes to yours. I'm the daughter of a WWII vet and the mother of an OEF vet. I always find myself in both gratitude and mourning on these days.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you lady texan for your thoughtfulness. My husband is a Vietnam vet and our son served in Iraq. One Navy and son Marine. While DH can’t remember 5 minutes ago, he remembers his time on the river’s of Vietnam like it was last week. He can tell me even down to the smell of those rivers. But can’t remember what we did an hour ago.  God bless all veterans, thank you all for keeping this country free !
  • melvina30
    melvina30 Member Posts: 7
    Third Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment
    JoyDean,  Have sent you an invitation.  Would like to communicate with you.  My husband was also in Navy on the rivers of Viet Nam.  He has mixed dementia and alzheimer's.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    My parents were both Veterans.  They are buried in Arlington. I think of them when I hear the Bugle from  Walter Reed, formerly Navy Med.  We used to stop for it every day. DW was aVA doctor.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Very well said, Lady. We all owe respect and gratitude.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more