Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

SSA Question

DW is fine. Asking for a friend. 

People who have walked this road before, I need help with the SSA form OMB No. 0960-0101 I received.  It asks for the information about "living children of the deceased".  Does that mean adult children or just minor children?  A search of several websites has yielded no information.

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I do not have the answer to this; I have my guess, but I will not list that as it is not fact. One can make a phone call to the local Social Security Office and have questions answered; there is also an 800 number for the national Social Security Office which is open very early for calls. One can find phone numbers online.

Best of wishes in getting good access and a quick answer.

J.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    From the wording, I think they mean all children.  If they meant just minors and disabled children, they would say so.  I am guessing that the form is for the purpose of identifying survivors of a deceased beneficiary who was owed an underpayment of benefits.  In that circumstance, the SSA needs to identify who would have inheritance rights under State law.
  • shardy
    shardy Member Posts: 43
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments
    Unfortunately I have had to file this form multiple times. It is all children, no matter the age.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I agree   the line about Page 2
    If any child listed in item 2 has a different name from that given at birth, attach a separate sheet with the following information:
    Child's Present Name, Name Given At Birth, and a brief explanation for the difference (e.g. Marriage or Court Order).

is a hint that it applies to adults

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thank you!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia