Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Something good out of the fog

My gal is in love with a TV show.  There are 3 documentaries about a couple friends doing epic motorcycle trips.  She love the guys, loves the scenery, and remembers nearly none of it.  Despite watching them over and over for days, it's always new and interesting to her.  Now she asks how the guys are doing.  Wonders how they are...and asks me if I went with them.  Do I know them? Did I go on the trip?  Why not?

They are real people to her.  People she is sure we know.

Then, out of this fog she asks me why I don't go with them: "Well why not?  You are a good person, you are good looking and smart and perfectly nice, I think they would like you.  You should go!"

The first kind words in months, and they were genuine and heartfelt.  I don't care if they were delusional, they were wonderful.

So, somewhere in the life of my confused and lost wife, where everything is hard and nothing makes sense, where nothing works and everything is 'crap', somewhere in there is a person who sees something good in her world.

I am reminded that people are complex, and while there is no foolish hope for some change or improvement, or any thing that can be called a 'good outcome', there is this awareness that there is still some inner life being lead by my wife, and not all my efforts to give her a good life are in vain, even if I rarely see any sign of success.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Roberts, that's a win for sure. That's something you won't forget in the near future.
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Robert,

That's priceless..you made my day.

Michele

• piozam13
    piozam13 Member Posts: 72
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

Treasure these moments - she's so in love with you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more