Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

reality(2)

DH had his NP testing session and the report is not good.

The suggested diagnosis from results of hours of testing is "Dementia due to mixed etiologies, mild severity"

---and an additional comment that states "due to evidence of progression and lack of insight suggests comorbid Alzheimer's disease."

Now we are at the crossroads. For nearly a dozen years after his near fatal viral encephalitis I have held out hope that DH would slowly keep improving, so this testing diagnosis has hit me in the face like a brick.

Now we return to his neurologist next week. I do not know if the doctor will tell DH what this testing showed or not. Even if he did tell him--DH lacks insight into the reality of his situation as it is, and it will possibly have no impact on him.

I think we have reached the point---as far as my feelings and thoughts are concerned after so many years of hope--of simply letting go of hope now.

The weird thing is I have not yet cried. I just feel numb.

I have no other choice but to carry on and take whatever gets thrown my way for another how many more years.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Drina, I'm sorry to hear of the results. No doubt it hit you like a ton of bricks. Hopefully you will be able to accept it, and do your best for him.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Drina,

I am so sorry for the latest diagnosis. I imagine you need time to process this. I find every time I see more deterioration, I go into a depression. This disease is just evil.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Drina, I am so sorry for this news that just hit you. Hopefully when you guys meet with the doctor he will get your husband started on some meds that will help make day to day easier for both of you. God bless you!
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Drina —. The loss of hope is, indeed, a devastating loss.  No wonder you feel numb.  Grief will come, as you process the news, but there’s no need to rush it.  You are now on the same path as most of us, and it’s one way, grief filled journey.  All I can say is we are fellow travelers with you, and will do what we can to lift you up and support you.  I am so sorry.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

Thank you all for your kind words.

I have been a traveler on a surreal journey for nearly a dozen years with no real explanations and a lot of confusion.At least now I have definitive diagnosis and know what to expect--another long and winding road with no happy future.

It seems I have been in some sort of grieving process for many years off and on in dealing with a rare and strange brain injury; now knowing it has progressed into another awful disease-- I know what I will definitely lose in the end.

And I have this forum with all of your collective wisdom and experience.

Thank God for you all and carry on.

dj

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I’m very sorry to hear this.My heart goes out to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more