Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

$266.00 a day

I am getting so tired. I do everything for my husband and all he likes to do is walk. He can still eat by himself and is fully continent so I can’t really complain there. He has a 10 sec memory and can’t talk about anything. Showers and changing clothes can be a battle and sometimes I just give up. Life seems like an endless treadmill. He is still too aware of his surroundings to consider placement. By next summer he might be there. Some days at the end of the day the only positive thing I can say is that I saved $300 by having him home. I do stop and realize that life could be so much worse and I do know that I will emerge from this a stronger person. But….

Comments

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

My HWD is the same as yours. I miss meaningful conversations. I detest doing battle over bathing and grooming. Anything I “correct” him on (like stop! You are tracking dog poo in the house!) is met with hostility and, of course, extensive cleanup. 

I feel like you in that we have nothing to complain about given the situations our friends on this board post about, but I hear you and feel the same drudgery, hopelessness and loss. 

After all this disease has stolen from us, I am determined not to let it impoverish us as well. Yay you for saving $300 every day. To me, it is worth the misery (so far) and rare moments of happiness.

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    I am also in a state of exhaustion from doing everything for my husband and from getting up in the middle of the night when he wakes up (2+ times) wanting to be changed.  And even though he has one foot in stage 7, he knows exactly who I am. If he did not know me, I would place him in a heartbeat.  Every week I survive this job, I think I have saved $1500.
  • NylaBlue
    NylaBlue Member Posts: 65
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    We all need a few carrots to keep us going and this really resonates with me. I’m starting a spreadsheet tomorrow!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more