Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Imagining the journey without technology

My dad cares for my Mom who has dementia but I am unsure of what kind of dementia she has. He doesn't know either. 

My dad is an analog man in a digital world. He hasn't embraced emerging technology. He has given up email. His search skills are antiquated. He reads the news on line but that's about it. Not embracing technology prevents him from participating in an online forum like this. Or using the patient portal. Or on-line banking. 

I have tried to bring him into the 21 century. He is happy where he is. So I step back which is important because my plate is full. I cannot imagine this journey without this forum. I am grateful for all of you.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I wonder if you could get online, and sign him up for the forum, then have him make one initial post? When he sees the results, he might be willing to give it a try. BTW, we're all grateful for you too. You bring a lot here.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I think your dad is not alone LT, there are a lot of folks who, by either age or poverty, do not participate in the digital world.  It makes everything harder for them.  Not having internet access is unimaginable for us but par for the course for a lot, lot of people still.  And all of our LO's with dementia eventually get to the point that the technology does not work for them, regardless.  My partner was never a whiz--she called herself a pencil-licker--but it's all beyond her now.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    My father (81 years old) has no credit card, no mobile phone. My mother manage everything and do everything on her phone  or computer (bank account, taxes, shopping …). He completely relies on her. I can’t imagine what would happen if she couldn’t anymore do all that.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more