Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is this a crazy idea?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
For those of you who are really having a very hard time, I wonder if a hypnotist might help? Would you try it?

Comments

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi Ed1937,

I had not thought of that, but you know, in the depths of our difficulties, use whatever resource that might help.  I am assuming you are talking about yourself .  We have to care for ourselves so we can be there for our LO's.  I would say yes.  I hope it helps and I wish you and your LO peace.  I will put it in my tool box as well. 

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ed, I have a hard time thinking that hypnotism would work on a demented brain.  I doubt that it's ever been looked at.  I'm not sure I believe that it works on a non-demented brain, but I'd have to look at the research.....
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,759
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    YES!
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I would consider hypnotism for me for sure. 

My mind seems to be my biggest enemy and also a great strength. When I have an especially challenging day, its often because I have expectations that cannot be met. When I adjust my thinking, eliminate my expectations of DH and express gratitude, I am more centered although my situation has not changed. If a hypnotist could guide my thinking to be more centered more quickly, I am all in.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sligo177 wrote

I am assuming you are talking about yourself .

Nope.

M1, I should have been more clear. I was not thinking about it working on a broken brain, but maybe for a caregiver. I highly doubt anything like that could have a benefit to a PWD.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Not for me! I’m not one who wants to allow someone to “plant” something in my brain without my awareness. I’m very cognitive in my mental health approach.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ha!  Silly me, Ed.  I guess I can't imagine what they would hypnotize me for--not being angry or frustrated or sad?   Thinking this is normal?  I can't imagine.....
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I learned to do self hypnosis 50 years ago, from a clinical psychologist.  It was the best thing I ever did.  Similar to meditation, I learned to relax and self-implant ideas I wanted.  Works for weight control, smoking cessation, ignoring back pain, etc.  Learning to control my own mind has been a life saver for me.  I can do it in stressful situations and feel my heart rate slow and my mind clear.  I strongly recommend it.
  • Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Stuck in the middle,

Where can I learn about self hypnosis? I am really interested. I meditate in a regular basis and that has helped me to know my mind and how to quiet it down. But in this situation I need more control of my feelings, thoughts, expectations, etc, etc…..

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more