Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Reverting back to MCI

I was diagnosed with amnestic MCI in 2016. I had annual neuropsychological testing every year confirming my diagnosis. In mid 2019, my testing showed I was no longer considered to have MCI and had reverted back to normal cognition.

I have only found limited information on reverting back to MCI, but some studies have shown that those who had MCI, and reverted back to “normal” were 3 times more likely to eventually develop Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia.

Over the last several months,I have started to notice my memory getting questionable again, and days of brain fogginess have returned, though not constant. Im still not as bad as I remember being, but I cant say for sure Im not progressing either.

Does anyone have any info on this, or know someone who had MCI, reverted back to normal, then eventually was diagnosed with a form of dementia?

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,745
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Andy, I have never heard of that so did a google and found this...not very current

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3475624/

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

That is a very interesting study, jfkoc.  Thank you for posting it.

Andy, it's great that you are back to normal baseline!  

When my neurologist told me that I don't have Alzheimer's Disease, he was careful to stress "at this time."  Meaning, I could still develop AD in the future.  My dx is still cognitive impairment nos.  I'm still continuing with Best Practices.

Iris 

• Andy62
    Andy62 Member Posts: 3
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment
    Thanks JFKOC,I have read your link before, and was hoping to find newer information.
  • Andy62
    Andy62 Member Posts: 3
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

Iris - Thanks, but then again, what is “normal”…..

Im doing ok, just getting a little worried after having 2 years of believing there is nothing wrong under the hood.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more