Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sudden Alzheimer’s decline

Hello,

My husband is 69 and was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s 5 years ago and has seemed to stay in this middle stage for a long time.  He also has heart issues and is a type 2 diabetic.

He went to the ER twice this past week for a kidney stone that still has not passed as far as we know.  He is currently not in pain, as I guess the stone is not moving, but his cognitive decline has increased dramatically the last few days since we first discovered the kidney stone. He has been checked for a UTI, and so far does not have one. He has only taken pain medicine a couple of times , and hasn’t had any in two days, so I do not think that’s the problem.

Has anyone seen this happen with their spouse or loved one?  I still work, and usually he is OK with me being at work, as I call often and have cameras in the house etc. 

I have stayed home with him the last few days due to this decline , and can not see leaving him right now.

Thanks!

Susan

Comments

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    Yes.  Any  time he does not feel well or is emotionally stressed his memory takes a big hit.  I do what I can to mitigate both, but sometimes just have to wait it out.  But, it sure can be frustrating.
  • SBL83
    SBL83 Member Posts: 42
    Eighth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Thank you for your reply.  Do you find he gets back to where he was cognitively  once the illness is over?

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Yes…once the illness passes or the stress is alleviated, he returns to what ever status he was before the challenge.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    For us, yes and no. My husband had a hard fall and his recovery is complete. But cognitively he’s not quite as good as he was. Our neurologist told me earlier that they’ll rock along in the middle stage for what seems like a long time, then bam. A sharp decline. Hopefully your husband will continue to keep his current acuity as long as possible.
  • SBL83

Thanks so much for your reply.  What your neurologist said is exactly what I’m thinking, 

Good luck to you and your husband.   Thank you!

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    My DH's balance and motor skills are more impaired, when he is in pain, uncomfortable or agitated. When DH has a fever things become significantly worse. For example, he was more confused, he got lost in our small house several times, he had trouble communicating.
  • SBL83

That all sounds familiar and similar to my husband.  Thank you for your reply.

Good luck!

Susan

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living