Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Swiss Cheese

In a TV show…Quantum Leap…the main character jumped back in time into other people”s bodies to correct an error in history.  He always explained his confusion as having a Swiss Cheese memory.

This must be what it is like for my sweetie…only it is the present that is full of holes and memory traps for him, while his past is clear as a bell.  Most of our true conversations are often about a past I had no part in as they occurred with his first wife.

I don’t find that troublesome any more as it is not meant to cause me hurt…it is just where he is the clearest.  I don’t even correct him when he assumes I was there.  I just play along and let him tell the tales.  It makes him happy and, frankly, anything that makes him happy makes me mostly happy, too.

Do I miss the fact that a good deal of our 17 years together has become full of holes? And, does it often make me sad that our many travel adventures are mostly gone for him? Of course, I do. And, of course, I am.  But, he can’t help that and it is not something he does on purpose.

So, we muggle along and I do my best to meet him where he is living each day.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    You have a healthy attitude.  Good for you!
  • Shevie
    Shevie Member Posts: 31
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    I love this. I want to be like you, make the best of the moment and love the time we gave together. Thanks
  • SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    This is so true! I’ve described it exactly the same way. Swiss cheese. Every part of the brain is effected. Bits of missing parts falling away. He can do complicated woodworking designs but can’t remember some of the simple things he’s done for years. He’s falling back into his deep skill sets from way back. I’m glad he can still do those things.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more