Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Estate Planning Help

How does one find a reliable estate lawyer? We are in a situation where I feel like I cannot trust the documents and plans we have had in place with our current attorney and I'd like to explore another resource. Nothing has happened to us specifically, but there are stories from friends that lead us to believe we should look for someone that is more attuned to new legal developments. My DW is in moderate stages and safely at home with me as her caretaker, but I'd like to rest easier and be ahead of things that the future will bring, like protection of assets, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

"protection of assets" from what? Medicaid planning?  greedy children ?  Lawsuits?  etc.

Estate planning and asset protection are not the same thing  and protection of the incompetent is something else again.  Elder care lawyers do all these things.   Most estate panning lawyers don't.

In my case the key instrument is a trust designed to pay for  me and DW for the rest of our lives.   My daughters are successor trustees and heirs.  I also have a special needs grandchild.

It all depends on your asset and income structure. We pay privately for DW's residential care. 

What state are you in ? frankly the "financially strapped" usually don't need estate planning They need medicaid planning

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Good morning rannswann.

Good for you for being proactive regarding legal matters. I used an experienced elder law attorney in Austin Texas. He was especially attuned to the Medicaid regulations in Texas, where we live. I found him through the word of mouth at my in person support group.

It is important to engage an attorney that has experience in elder law. 

Other forum members can provide resources to locate elder law attorneys in your area.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Word of mouth is best. Perhaps those friends have moved on to someone they are happy with. Our local IRL support group had suggestions, but I ultimately found someone I already knew and respected at this site-

National Elder Law Foundation (nelf.org)
  • OrganizerBecky
    OrganizerBecky Member Posts: 32
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Does your bank have a trust or wealth management department? They can refer two or three estate planning attorneys. A financial planner may also be of help.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,759
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I think it is always a good idea to take a look at legal documents periodically. ...wills...living wills...DPOAs... Trusts.

Ultimately you will make the decision on how  you want to "use" your assets that said time spent on Google and preparing a list of all  assets will be very helpful to you and your next attorney.

• rannswann
    rannswann Member Posts: 10
    Third Anniversary First Comment

Thank you all for the thoughts and advice!

Peace.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney