Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dreading next week

DH took it upon himself to invite some close friends over for Thanksgiving.  That's not so bad and I've contacted everyone to bring a dish or dessert.  DH thinks he is going to cook the entire meal himself even though he doesn't know how to turn on the oven.  I'm confident I can get what needs done and let him feel like he did it.  The thing I'm dreading is we just found out his 87 year old, nearly deaf tia (his father's sister) is coming to stay with us from Cd. Juarez along with his 50 something prima who has the mental capacity of a 5 year old for over a week.  Neither of them speak much English and my Spanish is horrible so that poses a huge problem.  We usually have the TV on a Spanish station with the volume at full blast which drive me nuts.   The aunt doesn't know the extent of my husband's disease and I don't know how to explain it to her so she will understand what I'm going through.  I'm sure that will be a shock to her when she sees him in action.  Also, my MIL hates her sister in law and for years every time they got together it would turn into a huge shouting match between the two of them which raises my anxiety level.  Not to put any more pressure on me, a couple of guests have come out and told me they won't come if my MIL is there because they don't like the way she treats me.  What should be a nice day is turning out to be something I'm dreading.

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Have you given any consideration to calling everyone and canceling the event and over night stays?

Sounds like a disaster in the making...even if all were in good health which obviously they are not.

You may need to tell a fiblet (little lie) to the invited to get them to understand the need to cancel.

You may need a different one to tell your LO.  But both are ok under the circumstances.

Wishing you a peaceful holiday.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,759
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    You could feign flu..........
  • Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Oh my.  Stressful to be sure.  Tough without your spouse having dementia let alone when he does.

Is it too late to uninvite some of this crowd?

Is there someone in Juarez who can explain to the aunt?  

Many hugs to you as you try to find a way to ease the stress.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Covid is surging again in some areas.  Perhaps in your area..?

Iris

• pluviophile
    pluviophile Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments First Anniversary

I told a relative the other day who wanted to come for a visit that I don't do houseguests anymore. I said there is too much on my plate.  

I know it can be hard, but your situation has changed a lot.  You can choose to say no to things that are too much.  

Maybe you don't want to do anything like that this week.  But perhaps think about it for the long run.  

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    You have every right to politely cancel this. And I might add you even have a responsibility to do it just to take care of yourself. The more you get "down", the more your caregiving suffers. So cancelling this would not only be for your sake, but for his too.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    OMG sounds like the week from hell. What comes to my mind are earplugs and wine. Lots of wine.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    if you end up having to have the Spanish speaking group, download a translation app on your phone.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more