Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

He begins to know famous people.

I already read post on that, but as it was marginal for me, I never replied. I didn’t really felt concerned.

It started with the sailors. Often in previous months, He claimed to have routed famous sailors on transats. He knows well one famous sailor and followed his races, but I think he was already unable to route him… or he wouldn’t have win any race.

For the respite stay, I had bought sailing magazines. When I took them out in his room, he said to the caregiver, "I know them all ». She asked "who? » He answered "the ones in the picture ». You couldn't see any faces, I wonder how he could recognize them.

The next day, in the newspaper there was an article about Coluche, a famous French comedian who died a long time ago. He told the team that he knew him personally. That's not true, too bad. 

I wonder who will be his next famous friend. With such companies our life could become very interesting

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Oh wow, French.  My husband doesn't claim to know anybody famous, but he talks about well known people who are dead as if they were currently living.  Yesterday at breakfast, he started talking about Mao Tse-tung (Zedong) being the current chairman of the Communist Party of China. (Zedong died in 1976) This bizarre conversation came out of the blue...I have no idea what triggered it.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

This reminds me of my father when he was in care. The nurses were tiptoeing around him because he told them he had been awarded the Order of Canada five times, he was a General in the armed forces, and he had a handful of degrees from different American universities.

The truth was that Dad did do two years national service in the South African army. The rest was pure fiction. My mother went around doing damage control.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

True story about DW

She was a very well known computer expert.  One time after she was diagnosed we went to Bletchly park in the UK to see the code breaking exhibits and the UK Computer museum. Codebreaking was open but the computer museum was closed for lack of staff,  I mentioned to the staff person on duty that it would disappoint my wife Dr. (her name)  His eyes got big and he said she is here ? I said yes, over there.  He said  We cant have that and they called in volunteers and opened the museum for her !! 

I was proud and stunned. Everyone wanted  their picture taken with her.  I told her she was the most famous person I ever married. 

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I was one of those who posted about my husband’s delusions of knowing famous people. What’s interesting is that time and place are as bizarre as the people DH claims to know. I posted about his telling me that if he had only been a couple of years older he would have participated in the Normandy Invasion, I reminded him that was born in 1943 and the invasion was one year later. He asked if I was sure about that.

DH’s family owned a resort hotel many years ago. My husband thinks we currently live there. When famous people are on TV, my husband tells me they were guests at the hotel. Many of those people were born after the family was out of the hotel business. Sometimes he says he has been in countries that he never visited. However, I have stopped trying to correct him. It doesn’t work and it doesn’t matter.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,759
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Enjoy the tales!
  • Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    My husband is a huge Star Trek fan, Trekkie.  He has gone to many conventions and has had his picture taken with some of the stars of the various shows.  He talks about them like they are old friends.  "You know ol Bill (William Shatner) always goes out of his way to say hello to me."  He shows me his pictures and has a story about each one which I listen to again and again.  It makes him happy so why not.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more